Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 chocolateblue

chocolateblue

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:55 AM

Posted 07 August 2005 - 10:01 AM

As i stated i'm a newbie with really no experience but alot of desire/willingness to learn all that i can. A friend of mine whose company went belly up is kindly donating some old equipment to me well not donating a nominal fee. He is giving me a 2511/access router,3 2501's,a 2502,2503,2612,1924 switch,2521 a few transceivers and some cables,but no info on the equipment except that it works.I here to find out what other equipment if any would i need to practice labs and also to find practice labs to set this stuff up. Any help or pointing me in the right direction would be appreciated. THANKS IN ADVANCE :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Snapper

Snapper

• Members
  • 550 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:55 AM

Posted 08 August 2005 - 07:30 PM

Get a mac, a linux box, a book on networking, and make it work! Basically networking is to everybody a different tool. Say somebody gives you a hammer some nails and a screwdriver. it is the same as asking a carpenter what you can do. Seriously if you wanna learn a bit, check out these forums, their responses, it wil/may guide you on what different people want out of their small LANS and WLANS. Try sending files to two or more nodes, then play with the security, use different networking protocols to send them , trace your router hops. man i could go on forever. just test, play , screw it up, then come back here and pick our brains!!! it can be very frusterating, but very liberating when you solve an issue.
lots of luck
Google...Google.....browse..read

#3 gjb911169

gjb911169

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:55 AM

Posted 10 August 2005 - 05:39 AM

Take a look and get a Cisco book. This way here you can get some basic knowledge on the equipment. ALso go through the Cisco website to assist you.

Hope this helps.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users