Please download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware
(v1.41) and save it to your desktop.alternate download link 1alternate download link 2
If you cannot boot normally, try downloading while in "Safe Mode with Networking
. If you cannot do that, then download MBAM from a clean computer, save to a USB stick or CD, transfer the file to the infected machine and then double-click on it to install. You will also need to manually download the definition updates
and just double-click on mbam-rules.exe
to update after installing the program. MBAM may "make changes to your registry" as part of its disinfection routine. If using other security programs that detect registry changes (ie Spybot's Teatimer), they may interfere or alert you. Temporarily disable such programs or permit them to allow the changes.
Reboot your computer in "safe mode
using the F8
method. To do this, restart your computer and after hearing your computer beep once during startup (but before the Windows icon appears) press the F8 key repeatedly. A menu will appear with several options. Use the arrow keys to navigate and select the option to run Windows in "Safe Mode".
- Double-click on mbam-setup.exe to install the application.
- When the installation begins, follow the prompts and do not make any changes to default settings.
- When installation has finished, make sure you leave both of these checked:
- Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
- Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
- Then click Finish.
MBAM will automatically start and you will be asked to update the program before performing a scan.
- If an update is found, the program will automatically update itself. Press the OK button to close that box and continue.
- If you encounter any problems while downloading the definition updates, manually download them from here and just double-click on mbam-rules.exe to install.
On the Scanner tab:
- Make sure the "Perform Quick Scan" option is selected.
- Then click on the Scan button.
- If asked to select the drives to scan, leave all the drives selected and click on the Start Scan button.
- The scan will begin and "Scan in progress" will show at the top. It may take some time to complete so please be patient.
- When the scan is finished, a message box will say "The scan completed successfully. Click 'Show Results' to display all objects found".
- Click OK to close the message box and continue with the removal process.
Back at the main Scanner screen:
Note: If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove, you will be asked to reboot your computer so MBAM can proceed with the disinfection process. If asked to restart the computer, please do so immediately. Failure to reboot normally (not into safe mode) will prevent MBAM from removing all the malware.
- Click on the Show Results button to see a list of any malware that was found.
- Make sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
- When removal is completed, a log report will open in Notepad.
- The log is automatically saved and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.
- Copy and paste the contents of that report in your next reply. Be sure to post the complete log to include the top portion which shows MBAM's database version and your operating system.
- Exit MBAM when done.
Scanning with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware in safe or normal mode will work but removal functions are not as powerful in safe mode. MBAM is designed to be at full power when malware is running so safe mode is not necessary when using it. In fact, MBAM loses some effectiveness
for detection & removal when used in safe mode because the program includes a special driver which does not work in safe mode. Further, scanning in safe mode prevents some types of malware from running so it may be missed during the detection process. Additionally, there are various types of malware infections which target the safeboot keyset so booting into safe mode is not always possible. For optimal removal, normal mode is recommended
so it does not limit the abilities of MBAM but sometimes there is no alternative but to do a safe mode scan. Note if installing in safe mode: For the same reasons indicated above, installing MBAM in safe mode is not advised. However, we understand in some instances there may be no other choice. If that is the case, after completing a safe mode scan it is recommended to uninstall MBAM, then reinstall it in normal mode and perform another scan.
-- Some types of malware will disable Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and other security tools to keep them from running properly. If MBAM will not install, try renaming
- Right-click on the mbam-setup.exe file file and rename it to mysetup.exe. If that did not work, rename it explorer.exe.
- Double-click on the renamed file to start the installation.
- If that still did not work, then try changing the file extension. <- click this link if you do not see the file extension
If using Windows Vista, refer to these instructions.
- Right-click on explorer.exe and change the .exe extension to .scr, .com, .pif, or .bat.
- Then double-click on explorer.com (or whatever extension you renamed it) to begin installation.
If after installation, MBAM will not run, open the Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware folder in Program Files.
- Right-click on mbam.exe and rename it to wuauclt.exe.
- Double-click on wuauclt.exe to launch the program.
- If that did not work, then change the .exe extension in the same way as noted above.
- Double-click on wuauclt.com (or whatever extension you renamed it) to launch the program.