Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

pinned: Upgrade disk clean install

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 audioAl

audioAl

• Members
  • 426 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:37 AM

Posted 16 November 2009 - 08:02 AM

Morning: I have yet another client who has a Dell Inspiron AMD dual core cpu ,1 gig of ram. Her son didn't register the XP that came on the computer, now it wont boot. I got the Upgrade Vista basic disk to come up going into bois and selecting boot from cd-rom. Will the above pinned method of doing a clean install still work??
Windows Vista Ultimate 64 bit/Intel e5300 cpu/ASRock G41M-LE mainboard/G max4500 onboard graphics/4gigs OCZ 800Mhz ram/ VIA onboard HD Vinyl audio/Yamaha RX-V465 HT receiver/ Cambridge SoundWorks and Infinity RS1001 speakers

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 figgis41

figgis41

• Members
  • 801 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:37 PM

Posted 16 November 2009 - 08:37 AM

hi,,, have a read of this
http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/winvi...grade_clean.asp
never tried it and would not like too,,,,, i wonder if you could clean install with a full vista disc using the upgrade product key ???
Figgis,,,, LUFC

#3 audioAl

audioAl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 426 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2009 - 07:02 AM

hi,,, have a read of this
http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/winvi...grade_clean.asp
never tried it and would not like too,,,,, i wonder if you could clean install with a full vista disc using the upgrade product key ???

I'm going to try the fake out. My Vista disk is Ultimate version, the client's is Home Basic.
Windows Vista Ultimate 64 bit/Intel e5300 cpu/ASRock G41M-LE mainboard/G max4500 onboard graphics/4gigs OCZ 800Mhz ram/ VIA onboard HD Vinyl audio/Yamaha RX-V465 HT receiver/ Cambridge SoundWorks and Infinity RS1001 speakers

#4 figgis41

figgis41

• Members
  • 801 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2009 - 03:43 PM

hi,,, i have a full edition of vista ultimate too,,, i do know that it carries all additions of vista and what it loads is determined by the product key,,,, so if its a basic key it will load basic,,, i have installed premium with my disc around 20 times now (well not my disc as such,,, i made a bootable flashdrive with it,,, saves the disc) but you know what i mean.
good luck.
Figgis,,,, LUFC

#5 audioAl

audioAl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 426 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2009 - 08:09 AM

hi,,, i have a full edition of vista ultimate too,,, i do know that it carries all additions of vista and what it loads is determined by the product key,,,, so if its a basic key it will load basic,,, i have installed premium with my disc around 20 times now (well not my disc as such,,, i made a bootable flashdrive with it,,, saves the disc) but you know what i mean.
good luck.

Very interesting Figgis, I will take my Ultimate disk's to this clients home and if the first try does not work, I'll try my Vista disk,Thanks again. Alan

#6 figgis41

figgis41

• Members
  • 801 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2009 - 01:17 PM

no probs :huh:
here's the link to setting up a 4gb flash drive to a bootable recovery drive with your disc,,,, saves use of the disc in case of damage and is way faster on the install of the os
http://maximumpcguides.com/windows-vista/c...-windows-vista/
good luck.
Figgis,,,, LUFC

#7 audioAl

audioAl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 426 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2009 - 01:50 PM

no probs :huh:
here's the link to setting up a 4gb flash drive to a bootable recovery drive with your disc,,,, saves use of the disc in case of damage and is way faster on the install of the os
http://maximumpcguides.com/windows-vista/c...-windows-vista/
good luck.

Well, I got the Basic to install, the trick of installing over the 1st, did not. I can't register the Basic upgrade,darn. I am studying how to call and register, anyone have the number, it's hard to Google? I want this customer happy. They want to buy one of my custom builds around Christmas.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users