Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

searching ask.com instead of going straight to page in Firefox

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 HAJiME

HAJiME

• Members
  • 71 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:28 PM

Posted 16 November 2009 - 03:14 AM

When I type something into the address bar, such as "facebook" or "bleepingcomputer" it used to just go directly to it. Even if I cleared the cache, it went to the website closest to what I typed in.

Now, it's going to ask.com to do a search.

Why? How do I get it back to how it was?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 doinmeedin

doinmeedin

• Members
  • 455 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2009 - 09:20 AM

Try this and see if it helps :

By default, when you key in keyword(s) in Firefox address bar, it will search the keyword(s) using Google am i Feeling Lucky option. The am i Feeling Lucky option will load the #1 rank website of the keyword(s) search result, instead of listing matching websites.

Personally, I NEVER use am i Feeling Lucky (not because I am unlucky). I prefer to see a list of matched websites and selecting from them.

To change the Firefox option is very simple, as follows:-

1. At Firefox address bar, enter about:config and press ENTER. It asks do you want to continue saying " I'll be very careful i promise" click ok
2. At Filter: field, type keyword.url
3. You should see a Preference name of keyword.URL in the list. Double click it, and Enter String Value input box will appear.
4. Replace the string with: or copy and paste this if you opened another tab to do it:
http://www.google.com.my/search?q=
Click OK button and done!

Edited by doinmeedin, 16 November 2009 - 09:25 AM.

If life is not an option then why are we not given the option in the first place !

#3 HAJiME

HAJiME
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 71 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2009 - 06:32 AM

I c&p the link, but then it was set to google Malaysia. :thumbsup: So, I changed it to http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=

It's still not going straight to pages like it used to before, but this is much better than it searching ask.com

What would have caused it to start using ask? Is it adware of some kind?

#4 doinmeedin

doinmeedin

• Members
  • 455 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2009 - 09:06 AM

It may be adaware / spyware but it could just be a BHO ( Browser Helper Object ), but then again BHO's are usually put into place by malware or spyware, so if you haven't already got Malwarebytes i suggest you download it from here :
http://www.malwarebytes.org/
after downloading rename the file to bimbo.exe or something you want to name it
Then run it and allow it to update
Then run a scan of your system
When its finished, if it finds anything continue with clearing whatever it finds then restart your puter to enable malwarebytes to fully complete its job !
Hope this helps Good Luck ! :thumbsup:

If life is not an option then why are we not given the option in the first place !

#5 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:28 PM

Posted 17 November 2009 - 12:24 PM

I c&p the link, but then it was set to google Malaysia. :thumbsup: So, I changed it to http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=

It's still not going straight to pages like it used to before, but this is much better than it searching ask.com

What would have caused it to start using ask? Is it adware of some kind?

Ask.com can best be described as borderline spyware. They didn't used to be like that when they were called Ask Jeeves but they've become more aggressive since changing their name. They do a lot of deals where they have the Ask.com Toolbar installed when you're downloading free software. You have to uncheck the option so you don't get it. They're not the only ones who do this. Yahoo does it too. A lot of users just aren't aware of this stuff. You just have to watch for it when you download stuff.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users