Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No Sound after reformat of Gateway FX 510S desktop

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 LOLAMA

LOLAMA

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:00 PM

Posted 16 November 2009 - 12:00 AM

HI everyone.

I needed to reformat my FX 510S. I used the "installation disk." There is no "drivers" disk (Gateway used to give you a seperate drivers and applications disk with new machines, but I noticed they stopped). I reinstalled and had a number of "Unknown devices". I was able to find drivers for pretty much everything and got back on the internet and fixed my graphics issues. I have a couple of issue remaining and have looked ALL over for help.

First, and most importantly, I have NO sound. No system sounds, no CD palying sounds, no internet sounds.
There are 2 sound devices: IDT High Definition Audio Codec and SB Audigy, which was purchased at the same time as the new machine (early part of 2007) but installed by us. I have that disk and used it to reinstall. Device manager says that both devices are there and functioning "properly". I double checked that they are enabled etc. I even tried disabling the IDT in case of conflict (although it says there is no device conflicts.) I updated the motherboard/chipset drivers.

I looked at all the drivers on the Gateway site and nothing seems pertinent -- plus, it says my drivers are there and the hardware is working.

What am I missing here??

Also, I do have 2 "unknown devices". (Yellow question marks with Yellow asterisks) I cannot figure out what these might be or how to find them. Nothing seems to be missing that I can think of . The Unknown devices, with no drivers installed, (error code 28) are listed as:

PCI device (PCI slot 17 - PCI Bus 4, devoce 0 and func 4)
PCI Serial Port (same as above but func 3)

Here is some basic info on my computer:

Mainboard : Intel OEMD975XLAG1
Version : AAD50908-203
Chipset : Intel i975X
Processor : Intel Core 2 Duo E6400 @ 2133 MHz
Physical Memory : 1024 MB (2 x 512 DDR2-SDRAM )
Video Card : NVIDIA GeForce 7300 LE
Hard Disk : ST3160812AS (160 GB)
Hard Disk : HDT72252 (250 GB)
DVD-Rom Drive : LITE-ON DVDRW SHW-160P6S
CD-Rom Drive : HL-DT-ST CD-RW GCE-8487B
Monitor Type : GATEWAY FPD1500 - 15 inches
Network Card : PRO/1000 PM Network Connection
Operating System : Microsoft Windows XP Professional 5.01.2600 Service Pack 3
DirectX : Version 9.0c

Any help anyone could give me would be greatly appreciated. I would say I have tried everything but since I still have no sound I suppose I have not quite tried "everything" yet!

Thank you so much

Lola

Private messageE-mail

Edited by boopme, 16 November 2009 - 12:03 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 16 November 2009 - 12:19 AM

Something to check.

Start/Control Panel.

Open Sound and Audio Devices.

Volume tab, click on Properties in Device Volume.

Play control should open.

Click on Options/Properties. Place a checkmark by everything, click OK.
Back to Options/Advanced Controls.

If under any of the categories, you see Advanced click on that, if a box opens that has
OTHER CONTROLS/1 Digital Output Only* check if it's unchecked. (if you see Advanced in the panel Volume Control, you won't need to check any other advanced settings. With SB, this is the one that is key to sound you hear)
If it's unchecked, check it.

Open up a player, add a music file, do you now have sound? If you have to, plug the speakers into every port on the card and see if it works.

*it may have another number. If it does, check or uncheck it.

#3 LOLAMA

LOLAMA
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2009 - 01:02 AM

:thumbsup: :flowers: :trumpet: WOW! That did it. Thank you so much!!! I spent hours on this and in one easy step, you got the problem solved for me. Thank you again!

LOLA

#4 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 16 November 2009 - 09:55 AM

I'm glad it worked for you. One easy step which is the result of the hours I spent trying to get sound back the first time I reinstalled Windows and drivers, and the same thing happening to me. Looking back, it was worth all the time I put into getting sound back, because I can now offer the same steps to others.

#5 LOLAMA

LOLAMA
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2009 - 10:09 AM

Thank you again. With all the settings I looked at, you think I would have stumbled across that one! It was especially helpful for you to mention to also try moving the plug to the different ports in the sound card. We always had it in the blue one and it worked. When I was "troubleshooting" the original documentation said it should be in the green one and so I moved it. After I read your post and checked the digital output only box and it didn't play, I put the plug back into the blue jack and that did it! If you hadn't mentioned trying all the jacks, I might not have thought to put it back to the blue one (although I should have since that's where it was before the reformat, despite the instructions to put it in the green port).

Now if I can figure out what the 2 remaining unknown devices are, I'll be done. I suppose when something doesn't "work" I will get a clue as to what device and drivers are missing.

Thank you again!!!

#6 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2009 - 11:03 AM

There is a method to use that *might* tell you what the unknown devices are.

In Device Manager, expand Unknown Devices.
Double click on one of them to open device properties.
Click on the Driver tab.

Choose Update Driver.
First screen, choose No, not this time when asked if you want Windows to connect to Windows Update.
Next screen, choose Install from a specific location.
For Choose your search and intall options, use Don't search, I will choose the driver to install.
Click next. The screen might give you the info you need to find out what the device is.
If it does you can either find the drivers and install them OR hit the back button and change the options to allow Windows updates to find them.
If you do not want to use Windows updates, and cannot find the drivers, post the device name and we'll do our best to get you to the right ones.

#7 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:00 PM

Posted 16 November 2009 - 11:11 AM

If that doesn't work for you right click on the unknown device and select Properties, then click on the Details tab, then on Hardware ID in the dropdown box. It should be in this format "PCI\VEN_4444&DEV_0016&SUBSYS_40090070&REV_01"

The 4 numbers/letters after the first _ are the Vendor ID; the 4 numbers/letters after the second _ are the Device ID.
Go to this website (http://www.pcidatabase.com/ ) and enter the Vendor ID into the Vendor Search box. In the next page, click on the link for the vendor of that device. In the next page, search for the Device ID and let us know what it says.
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#8 LOLAMA

LOLAMA
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2009 - 11:20 AM

Thank you. I will try these things when I get home.

#9 LOLAMA

LOLAMA
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2009 - 10:35 PM

Hi again:

I did the two things suggested to find the 2 unknown devices but am stuck (again? still?).

Here's what I got:

#1 Unknown (Device)

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_108E&SUBSYS_0000107B&REV_03/4&261E705A&0&04E5

Vendor Id: 8086 (intel)

Device: 2 matches:

Device Id Chip Description Vendor Id Vendor Name
0xA001 Hummingbird 0x108E Sun Microsystems
0x108E Intel® Active Management Technology - KCS 0x8086 Intel Corporation

#2 Unknown (Serial Port)

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_108F&SUBSYS_0000107B&REV_03/4&261E705A&0&03E5

It looks like they match this:

0x108E Chip Number: ICH7R
Chip Description: Intel® Active Management Technology - KCS
Notes: Intel® Active Management Technology - KCS
[ submit device info ]
0x108F Chip Number: ICH7R
Chip Description: Intel® Active Management Technology - SOL
Notes: Intel® Active Management Technology - SOL
[ submit device info ]

Where do I go from here?

Thank you again for all the help.

LOLA

#10 LOLAMA

LOLAMA
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2009 - 12:50 PM

May I add one "new" thing to my last post. Now, whenever I shut down/reboot, it hangs up and a box appears which says "End Program - Sigmatel-IDT-Systray" is "waiting" and I have to manually click "End Now." I believe this started after I installed the update for Norton 360 yesterday, but am not positive. And I still have the two "unknowns" described below.

Thank you all for your great help.

Hi again:

I did the two things suggested to find the 2 unknown devices but am stuck (again? still?).

Here's what I got:

#1 Unknown (Device)

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_108E&SUBSYS_0000107B&REV_03/4&261E705A&0&04E5

Vendor Id: 8086 (intel)

Device: 2 matches:

Device Id Chip Description Vendor Id Vendor Name
0xA001 Hummingbird 0x108E Sun Microsystems
0x108E Intel® Active Management Technology - KCS 0x8086 Intel Corporation

#2 Unknown (Serial Port)

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_108F&SUBSYS_0000107B&REV_03/4&261E705A&0&03E5

It looks like they match this:

0x108E Chip Number: ICH7R
Chip Description: Intel® Active Management Technology - KCS
Notes: Intel® Active Management Technology - KCS
[ submit device info ]
0x108F Chip Number: ICH7R
Chip Description: Intel® Active Management Technology - SOL
Notes: Intel® Active Management Technology - SOL
[ submit device info ]

Where do I go from here?

Thank you again for all the help.

LOLA

#11 LOLAMA

LOLAMA
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2009 - 10:16 PM

I'm sorry to be a pain after all the good help -- but I am really stuck (see my last post) and I have been trying to find solutions to both the two unknown device/serial port as well as the Sigmatel-IDT hang up whenever I shut down.

A couple additional things I tried: From the Intel site I downloaded the INF Utility - August 2009. After that instead of getting the message that those two items don't have drivers, I now get the error message (#1) that they are not properly installed because they can't find software. So that was a step backward. I tried uninstalling them and restarting, to no avail. I also tried restarting with the OEM system disk in the drive, Still no luck.

I also tried to get updated IDT drivers (May 2008) from cnet to deal with the Sigmatel-IDT-Systray problem on shut down. When I try toinstall I get an error message that says "device not on machine - restart computer and run set up again. Same thing happened, so I left that alone.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you all.

Lola

#12 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2009 - 07:27 PM

This is the motherboard chipset driver
D00651-002-001.exe - Intel VIIV Driver version: 1.5.1.188.50
http://support.gateway.com/support/drivers...&type=10094
Is this the sound driver you used?
D00478-001-003.exe - Sigmatel HD Audio Driver Version 5.10.4647.4
http://support.gateway.com/support/drivers...&type=10096
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#13 LOLAMA

LOLAMA
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2009 - 05:10 PM

That motherboard chip set won't work/install on my machine as it requires you to be running XP Media -- this machine has always run XP Pro.

After installing the audio driver you refered to, I received the following message: This version of Intel Audio Studio (which comes with the driver set and there is no option to install or uninstall one wihtout the other) doesn't support the board detected.

I was using IDT driver 1.0.5790.2 dated 4/10/2008. Now I don't even have an IDT device listed. I do have a Sigmatel High Def Audio Codec. I think I'm getting my sound from the Sound Blaster anyway.

I do have sound at this point. I just have the 2 "unknowns" which I detailed above as #1 Unknown PCI device: 0x108E Chip ICH7R (Intel Active Management Technology KCS) and #2 Unknown Serial Port: 0x108F Chip ICH7R (Intel Active Management Technology SOL)

I googled all the information in the preceding paragragh, but came up with nothing useful/helpful.

The separate (or perhaps related -- I don't know) issue still remaining is that on shut down it hangs up with a box that says End Program Sigmatel-IDT-Systray -- Program not responding -- and I have to "end now" to get the machine to shut down or reboot.

It is very frustrating that Gateway doesn't give you a driver disc -- everything is on the one installation disc -- or not.

Thank you again.

Lola

#14 LOLAMA

LOLAMA
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2009 - 09:03 PM

That motherboard chip set won't work/install on my machine as it requires you to be running XP Media -- this machine has always run XP Pro.

After installing the audio driver you refered to, I received the following message: This version of Intel Audio Studio (which comes with the driver set and there is no option to install or uninstall one wihtout the other) doesn't support the board detected.

I was using IDT driver 1.0.5790.2 dated 4/10/2008. Now I don't even have an IDT device listed. I do have a Sigmatel High Def Audio Codec. I think I'm getting my sound from the Sound Blaster anyway.

I do have sound at this point. I just have the 2 "unknowns" which I detailed above as #1 Unknown PCI device: 0x108E Chip ICH7R (Intel Active Management Technology KCS) and #2 Unknown Serial Port: 0x108F Chip ICH7R (Intel Active Management Technology SOL)

I googled all the information in the preceding paragragh, but came up with nothing useful/helpful.

The separate (or perhaps related -- I don't know) issue still remaining is that on shut down it hangs up with a box that says End Program Sigmatel-IDT-Systray -- Program not responding -- and I have to "end now" to get the machine to shut down or reboot.

It is very frustrating that Gateway doesn't give you a driver disc -- everything is on the one installation disc -- or not.

Thank you again.

Lola

Okay -- I did finally get rid of that Sigmatel/IDT hang up on shut down. Somewhere in all the searching chipsets and updates the 2008 IDT driver I had installed rolled back to a 2005 one (from the chip set). Once I reinstalled Driver 1.0.5790.2 dated 4/10/2008, the device name chnged back to IDT and that annoying message went away. As I said, I have had sound since I followed the instructions re the sound card settings several days ago. It was just that hang up on shut down that was annoying.

BUT, I still cannot resolve the other two things. I tried shutting down, unplugging my USB peripherals) printer and external back up drive and then tried to restart with the installation disc. It looked like it was copying all the ports etc but when I woul dn't let it reformat the hard drive, I had to just cancel out and nothing changed.

I still need to know what I can do about those 2 "unknown" issues, whcih appear network card related given their location and product description. I have not touched the BIOS and hope not to need to.

Thank you all again.

Lola

#15 SPRINKLERMAN

SPRINKLERMAN

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2012 - 08:48 PM

GO TO CONTROL PANEL, UPDATE ATI GRAPHICS DRIVER, THEN INSTALL AUDIO DRIVER
AND THE SOUND SHOULD WORK

0 user(s) are reading this topic