Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Trouble installing an IDT Audio Driver

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 DL141

DL141

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:41 AM

Posted 15 November 2009 - 09:59 PM

I recently reformatted my PC and have had difficulty in installing audio drivers. My system is running Windows XP Professional, Version 2002, Service Pack 3.

My machine is using an Intel D955xbk motherboard. Other hardware info follows:

Genuine Intel CPU 3.20 GHz
2.00 GB of RAM
500 GB Western Digital SATA hard drive
MSI R4670 Graphics Card, 512 MB DDR 3

After reformatting, I installed the necessary drivers and updated windows to Service Pack 3. For the audio device, I used the AUD_allOS_D20001.0x_PV_IDTGUI_v105_Legacy driver from Intel's site. On the first run, the files extracted and the installer launched. It appeared to precede normally, until I received the message "Cannot copy file st322000.dll" Although I saw this file in the extracted folder, the installer kept producing this message until I exited. Afterwards, the Device Manager showed Audio Codecs, Legacy Audio Drivers, Legacy Video Capture Devices, Media Control Devices, Video Codecs, and Two identical entries with question marks and the title "Audio Device on High Definition Audio Bus." On my second attempt to install the audio drivers, I received a message saying "The hardware detected is not supported by this IDT software package. The installer will abort."

Anyone have a clue what's going on here?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 techextreme

techextreme

Bleepin Tech

• Members
  • 2,125 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:41 AM

Posted 15 November 2009 - 10:06 PM

Have you tried the "Intel Driver Update Utility"?

It's possible this may help you find another driver that works. You may also want to look at KB888111 from Microsoft. This is the Universal Audio Architecture driver for Windows XP, 2000, and 2003.

Hope this helps,
Techextreme

"Admire those who attempt great things, even though they fail."

-- Seneca

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,294 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:41 AM

Posted 16 November 2009 - 10:12 AM

Have you tried http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/...b/CS-020642.htm?

Louis

#4 DL141

DL141
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2009 - 11:54 PM

Thank you all for your suggestions. Unfortunately, the Audio driver is not the only thing that I have been unable to install. So due to a problem with activeX or java, I either see a server error screen (IE) or nothing at all happens (Firefox) depending on the browser I am using. What happens when I tried Microsoft's Hotfix leads me to believe that I have a permissions issue as I receive a message saying I did not have permission...etc. in spite of the fact that I am the administrator and sole user on this system. I was able to run the self extractor module as an administrator but then it asked for a password to unzip each individual file (something I had never seen before) and my account password did not work here. I'm about to reformat again, any last tips?

#5 techextreme

techextreme

Bleepin Tech

• Members
  • 2,125 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2009 - 09:15 AM

What pages are telling you you "do not have permissions".
Techextreme

-- Seneca

#6 DL141

DL141
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2009 - 09:50 PM

That message came up when I attempted to install graphics drivers. Also when attempting to extract the Microsoft Hotfix.

#7 techextreme

techextreme

Bleepin Tech

• Members
  • 2,125 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2009 - 08:16 AM

It's possible that you have contracted some sort of spyware/malware in your search for drivers.

You may want to run a Malwarebytes scan on your computer and post a log under a new topic in the Am I Infected forum.

Hope this helps,
Techextreme

-- Seneca

#8 DL141

DL141
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2009 - 07:55 PM

I had not considered that since my last reformat. It seems unlikely though as I have only tried drivers from a CD since I reformatted. Also, I am getting a different error message since I reformatted. This time it simply tells me that the drivers are not supported by my hardware, which seems strange considering that I got much further along in the install process the first time I attempted to install that same driver.

#9 DL141

DL141
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2009 - 08:46 PM

Hey all, thank you for your help. I have my system back to functional. It turns out that Service Pack 2 is the sweet spot for installing these drivers. Everything went quite smoothly once I updated to that level. Why SP3 gave me trouble I don't know, but everything looks good now.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users