Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Accidentally installed so over vista

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Icesol1d

Icesol1d

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:36 PM

Posted 15 November 2009 - 09:40 PM

My friend was supposed to make my laptop a dual-boot system. We had vista preinstalled on it. He partitioned 3GB off the C drive to use for the new XP installation. After installing XP Professional, we have no clue how to get vista to boot back up. XP is not recognizing the wifi that's installed on the comp or any of our Ethernet cards or video cards. I didn't get any restoration CDs with my system, so I downloaded the 120mb vista restoration cd off the Internet and burned it. However, it said it was unable to load BOOTMGR. Our computer is now recognizing the D drive (xp) as the boot drive and need it to boot off the C drive (vista). I want to just delete xp completely. The computer came with a recovery drive (drive E). Any suggestions or help is greatly appreciated!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2009 - 10:43 PM

Welcome to BC :thumbsup:

Follow these steps :

1. Install Microsoft .NET on Windows XP. Install atleast .NET 2.0 SP1. Better get full package of.NET 3.5 which installs version 2.0,3.0 and 3.5.

2. Download Easy BCD 1.71 . Install EasyBCD and run it. Go to Manage Bootloader, select Reinstall Vista Bootloader and click Write MBR
Posted Image

3. In Easy BCD go to section Add/Remove Entries. In the Add an Entry section, select Windows Vista from dropdown list, the partition on which Vista is installed (like C:) and click on button Add Entry

Posted Image

4. Reboot your computer

Edited by Romeo29, 15 November 2009 - 10:48 PM.

#3 Icesol1d

Icesol1d
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2009 - 08:01 PM

I can never thank you enough for your help! We were considering buying a new computer because we couldn't get it working, but now its fixed thanks to you. Thank you thank you thank you!

I can never thank you enough for your help! We were considering buying a new computer because we couldn't get it working, but now its fixed thanks to you. Thank you thank you thank you!

#4 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2009 - 09:56 AM

You're welcome :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users