Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't establish wireless connection after reformat

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 lilimay

lilimay

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:29 PM

Posted 15 November 2009 - 09:39 PM

I just reformatted my computer - Windows XP pro - and can't re-establish my wireless connection. It was running fine before the reformat so I'm assuming I just need to configure some of the settings. I use a Netgear wireless cable modem (CG814WG) and my computer has a D-Link Airplus G DWL-G510 adapter. I have reinstalled all my Intel drivers and also the d-link adapter. However I still can't seem to get a connection. The D-link symbol in my tray says not connected! And the wireless connection icon occasionally picks up my Bigpond connection (it drops in and out) but won't connect to it when I type in the WPA. Im not particularly IT savy so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 techextreme

techextreme

Bleepin Tech

• Members
  • 2,125 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:29 AM

Posted 15 November 2009 - 10:57 PM

Your best bet would be to pull the card out of the PC and check the "hardware version" on the card itself.

D-Link has 2 different driver versions and 2 different versions of this wireless adapter. On this page Look for "How do I determine the hardware revision of my product?" and click on "read" to the right of this.

This will help you get the correct driver version for your D-Link Adapter.

Hope this helps,
Techextreme

"Admire those who attempt great things, even though they fail."

-- Seneca

#3 lilimay

lilimay
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:29 PM

Posted 15 November 2009 - 11:32 PM

I have checked the hardware version which is C1 and I believe I have the correct driver...straight from the d-link site. Still no go on connection though.

#4 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2009 - 11:34 PM

I would redo the WPA. Start with it disabled. Get the connection working before you load on security.

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#5 techextreme

techextreme

Bleepin Tech

• Members
  • 2,125 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2009 - 07:17 AM

Looking through the driver itself, I found that the D-Link driver REV-B ( dwlG510_revB_drivers_S0031 ) will be the correct drivers for your wireless card.

I'm also checking the Ralink website for an even more updated driver for your chipset on your wireless card.

If I find one, I'll let you know.

I also have a question. What service pack do you have installed on your Windows XP after reinstallation?
Hopefully you have updated to at least Service Pack 2 if not Service Pack 3. One other thing you may want to try is installing the "Wireless Client Update for Windows XP with Service Pack 2". This may also help with your authentication problems.

Hope this helps,
Techextreme

"Admire those who attempt great things, even though they fail."

-- Seneca

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users