Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

After reformat can't do Windows updates

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 DMSF

DMSF

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:16 AM

Posted 07 August 2005 - 05:02 AM

I reformated my C drive and reinstalled Windows 98 (pre SE) on my old Sony as it had years of 'muck' in it. I can not get anything when I go to Windows Update except for some script error when it appears that I'm at the site for updates. I've been thru the maze at microsoft and have found no answers as to how to do updates with this problem which I'm sure it boils down to 'I need to update'. I thought I could possibly find a way to get updates at Microsoft thru this other PC, downloading them to disks - but that's a joke on me. I really need some advice as to how to update Windows 98 when going to the update site won't work as I don't have the updates to now get that to work. :thumbsup: ... I'm on the other PC now and I have no idea how to get the old PC updated. HELP!!!! and Thanks in advance!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 lucent

lucent

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:16 AM

Posted 07 August 2005 - 05:51 AM

What version of IE do you have? It might not be capable of running the necessary activeX scripts. Maybe you grab a copy of IE off of a magazine cover disc.
Posted Image
Special thanks to efizzer for the signature

#3 Joshuacat

Joshuacat

01001010 01000011

• Members
  • 1,950 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:16 AM

Posted 07 August 2005 - 07:31 AM

What is the exact error message that you get? I have had this occur on a couple of computers that I have worked on. Usually, if you write the exact message down and follow through the MS support website, you can find a solution. On one of the computers that I worked on, it turned out that the date was incorrect on the computer...go figure...
:thumbsup:
JC

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users