Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Novice Computer Guy Needs Help

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 BigStrode1

BigStrode1

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:59 PM

Posted 15 November 2009 - 07:40 PM

Hey all good the be here hope to get help. I am running XP Home SP3. I installed a Maxtor 20GB IDE HDD. Windows recongnized it. But in the MyComputer screen it does not show as a seperate HDD. My Desire is to Transfer files to free up space on master. Why is windows doing this?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:59 PM

Posted 15 November 2009 - 09:08 PM

You will need to access Disk Management.
1: Right click My Computer, left click Manage.
2: In the window that opens left click Disk Management in the left column. The new drive should show up in the right side along with any other drives on the PC.
3: If it is a brand new drive you will need to right click on the drive and choose format.
4: IMO,You should pick NTFS. If it is not new then it will already be formatted. It will either show fat 32 or NTFS.
4a: If it shows fat 32 I suggest reformatting to NTFS. After it completes right click on it one more time and left click on set as active.
That should do it.

NOTE:When you format a drive you are effectively erasing any information on the drive. Should you want any data currently on the new drive then do not format it immediatley. Just set it as active.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users