Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

SHLDDRV.VXD file missing

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 rodell

rodell

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:53 PM

Posted 07 August 2005 - 01:42 AM

First I'd like to know possible ways this file disappeared. I spent 3 hours dowmoading Panda, but have not installed; removed Norton AV Corporate Edition; removed all of (unused) McAfee. That is total of what I did before getting this StartUp catastrophe message.

I do not have the Windows CD disc (Toshiba version), and much prefer not to mess with Safe mode. I know there is a path to restore the file but cannot find it anywhere. At RUN, SFC, I am lost when asked for "Restore from where". At VIEW have checked "Show all files" ; reviewed Settings, etc. Of course I'm a novice, as is all too obvious.

Appreciate help on this which you experts can easily do! I need exact detailed path from beginningn to end. Thank you. Cordially, RO

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rodell

rodell
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2005 - 02:48 PM

re: missing SHLDDRV.VXD
Wednesday, February 11, 2004 at 8:40 pm
Windows 98 Annoyances Discussion Forum
Posted by JmC (13513 messages posted)

It would be a good idea to backup the registry first. Select Start/Run, type SCANREGW
in the 'Open' box and press enter. When prompted, select 'YES" to back it up.

Select Start/Run, type REGEDIT in the 'Open' box and press enter.

When Registry Editor opens, click 'Edit' on the toolbar and then 'Find'. Next
in the 'Find what:' window type SHLDDRV.VXD and press enter. If the entry
is found, it should show in the right pane.

Right-click it and select 'Delete' from the menu. You can then press the 'F3'
key to continue the search for other instances. Close the editor and reboot.

#3 rodell

rodell
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2005 - 03:11 PM

Spoke too soon. That only removes not replace. I still need to find how to reinstall.
Will appreciate some help.
Cordially, RO

#4 River_Rat

River_Rat

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2005 - 06:53 AM

This must be a left over from an uninstall gone haywire.

Go to:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\Curr­entControlSet\Services\VxD\SHL­DDRV

Click to Highlight SHLDDRV(in the left pane)>Click File>Export>export it to a safe place.

Right Click SHLDDRV>Delete

Restart computer, see if problem is solved, after a couple of weeks if no problems are detected you can delete the Reg. key you exported.

#5 rodell

rodell
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2005 - 07:18 AM

Thank you Bud River_Rat.

You don't know how inexperienced (read stupid) I am. For example, when say "export to safe place" I haven't least idea where that is.

More importantly, your recommendation parallels what I already did at that HKey URL. I have done the delete which happened to show in right rather than or in addition to, left pane.

For sure downloading Panda and/or removing Norton AV brought this about. But what I urgently need is exact path to reinstall (without CS disc or use of SafeMode)
At StartUp comes the screen, "Cannot find...", etc.

If need be, can you email (not as Attachment) a copy of the file I can Copy/Paste, to include where it is to be Pasted?

Cordially, RO

Edited by rodell, 08 August 2005 - 07:20 AM.

#6 River_Rat

River_Rat

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2005 - 07:31 AM

To start with we are not going to install anything we are removing "SHLDDRV" it is not a windows file.

Go to:
Start>Run>(type) regedit> navigate to>HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\Curr­entControlSet\Services\VxD\SHL­DDRV

Click on SHLDDRV to Highlight it, then go to File (at the top), click on Export, then a window will open, export it to My Documents or any place you know it will not get deleted till we make sure this solves your problem.

Then
Go back to SHLDDRV, Right Click it and Delete, click Yes to confirm, close Regedit and restart your computer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users