Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

BSOD after I installed a fresh copy of XP Prof.

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 lambudada

lambudada

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:45 PM

Posted 15 November 2009 - 05:07 PM

Hello,
SO yesterday I installed a fresh copy of XP professional and moved all my family pictures and other docs form an existing HD to the newly installed HD. I installed MacFee (from the ATT site) and scanned my HD. No issues.
Everything looked great till I went to a site which probably some how infected my PC. I noticed that the Antivirus Pro boxes started popping up. SO I started task manager and killed one of the tasks which looked like that was starting the Antivirus Pro. After that I just wanted to reboot the PC to make sure that Antivirus Pro didnt startup on next power up. But the PC is not starting up and always gives me BSOD for like a second and then reboots. I cannot even read what hex address it is pointing to. I tried starting the PC up in SAFE mode (or SAFE mode with networking or any other options that there for PU) and nothing works. I even inserted my XP disc in the CD ROM and set my BIOS so that PC boots up from CD but that doesnt even work.
Can any one help me with this issue?
Thanks in advance

Regards

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2009 - 09:22 PM

Go into Task Manager and end all tasks
Then start a new task and type explorer.exe

Then try running this

We Need to check for Rootkits with RootRepeal
  • Download RootRepeal from the following location and save it to your desktop.
  • Extract RootRepeal.exe from the archive (If you did not use the "Direct Download" mirror).
  • Open Posted Image on your desktop.
  • Click the Posted Image tab.
  • Click the Posted Image button.
  • Check all seven boxes: Posted Image
  • Push Ok
  • Check the box for your main system drive (Usually C:), and press Ok.
  • Allow RootRepeal to run a scan of your system. This may take some time.
  • Once the scan completes, push the Posted Image button. Save the log to your desktop, using a distinctive name, such as RootRepeal.txt. Include this report in your next reply, please.

----------------------------------

Please note: If Rootrepeal fails to run, try this step: Click Settings - Options. Set the Disk Access slider to High

Also try: right-click on rootrepeal.exe and rename it to tatertot.scr
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 lambudada

lambudada
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2009 - 05:20 PM

Hi Mark
Thanks for the response.
But the problem is that I cannot go to windows at all (neither in normal mode nor in safe mode).
In normal mode when the windows startup I get the BSOD
In normal mode I dont even get that far. The computer reboot by itself (I havent even seen the windows getting to start up in safe mode).

Regards

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2009 - 08:07 PM

All I can suggest is to try one of these rescue disks and maybe you can get it so it will at least boot

Vipre rescue disk
http://live.sunbeltsoftware.com/

If you cannot bootup normally, cannot transfer required tools to the infected machine and cannot download anything while in safe mode, then your options are limited to what security tools you have on your computer. If those tools do not work, then your options become even more limited.

Have you tried using System Restore from a command prompt in Safe Mode to return to a previous state before your problems began?

If that doesn't work. these are links to Anti-virus vendors that offer free LiveCD or Rescue CD utilities that are used to boot from for repair of unbootable and damaged systems, rescue data, scan the system for virus infections. Burn it as an image to a disk to get a bootable CD. All (except Avira) are in the ISO Image file format. Avira uses an EXE that has built-in CD burning capability.If you are not sure how to burn an image, please read How to write a CD/DVD image or ISO. If you need a FREE utility to burn the ISO image, download and use ImgBurn.

Note: In order to use a rescue disk, the boot order must be set to start from the CD-ROM drive. If the CD is not first in the boot order, the computer will attempt to start normally by booting from the hard drive. The boot order is a setting found in the computer’s BIOS which runs when it is first powered on. This setting controls the order that the BIOS uses to look for a boot device from which to load the operating system. The default will normally be A:, C:, CD-ROM. Different computers have different ways to enter the BIOS. If you're not sure how to do this, refer to:
Mark
Posted Image

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits

#5 lambudada

lambudada
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2009 - 07:58 AM

Thanks Mark.
I think I will try your suggestion about the rescue disk
I did try to startup in Safe mode with command prompt and it doesnt even boot completely and reboots :thumbsup:

One more thing. I curently have my BIOS set so that it should start from CD-ROM first. Now when I have my MS XP disc in shouldnt it start with the MS setup for windows which will allow me to "repair" my XP? Curently when I have the BIOS set to start with CD-ROM first I still see it starting up with the hard drive (boot seq. I have selected is 1. CD 2. Floppy 3. HD

Regards

All I can suggest is to try one of these rescue disks and maybe you can get it so it will at least boot

Vipre rescue disk
http://live.sunbeltsoftware.com/

If you cannot bootup normally, cannot transfer required tools to the infected machine and cannot download anything while in safe mode, then your options are limited to what security tools you have on your computer. If those tools do not work, then your options become even more limited.

Have you tried using System Restore from a command prompt in Safe Mode to return to a previous state before your problems began?

If that doesn't work. these are links to Anti-virus vendors that offer free LiveCD or Rescue CD utilities that are used to boot from for repair of unbootable and damaged systems, rescue data, scan the system for virus infections. Burn it as an image to a disk to get a bootable CD. All (except Avira) are in the ISO Image file format. Avira uses an EXE that has built-in CD burning capability.

If you are not sure how to burn an image, please read How to write a CD/DVD image or ISO. If you need a FREE utility to burn the ISO image, download and use ImgBurn.

Note: In order to use a rescue disk, the boot order must be set to start from the CD-ROM drive. If the CD is not first in the boot order, the computer will attempt to start normally by booting from the hard drive. The boot order is a setting found in the computer’s BIOS which runs when it is first powered on. This setting controls the order that the BIOS uses to look for a boot device from which to load the operating system. The default will normally be A:, C:, CD-ROM. Different computers have different ways to enter the BIOS. If you're not sure how to do this, refer to:

#6 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2009 - 07:50 PM

When you have your BIOS set to boot to the CD drive and you insert the XP disk, it should start the setup process and then ask you what you want to do.
Either Repair or continue with installation
Mark
Posted Image

#7 lambudada

lambudada
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2009 - 03:31 PM

HI All,
So I bit the bullet and reinstalled the WIN XP (after backing up all the data)
But before I put it back on the network I wanted to get some suggestions as to what measures I can take so that I don't get into a similar situation again (or atleast I have some malware or some other app installed which can detect any intrusion). I plan on installing all the updates from MS first followed by installing anti-virus (MacFee or Norton). Any other advice? Any tutorial about this?

Thanks in advance for all the help.

BR

#8 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2009 - 08:15 PM

Read the pinned topics here:
AntiVirus, Firewall and Privacy Products and Protection Methods
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/25/antivirus-firewall-and-privacy-products-and-protection-methods/
You can post any questions you have there also

Tips to protect yourself against malware and reduce the potential for re-infection:
• "Simple and easy ways to keep your computer safe".
• "How did I get infected?, With steps so it does not happen again!".
• "Hardening Windows Security - Part 1 & Part 2".
• "IE Recommended Minimal Security Settings" - "How to Secure Your Web Browser".

• Avoid gaming sites, underground web pages, pirated software, crack sites, and peer-to-peer (P2P) file sharing programs. They are a security risk which can make your computer susceptible to a smörgåsbord of malware infections, remote attacks, exposure of personal information, and identity theft. Many malicious worms and Trojans spread across P2P file sharing networks, gaming and underground sites. Users visiting such pages may see innocuous-looking banner ads containing code which can trigger pop-up ads and Flash ads that install viruses, Trojans and spyware. Ads are a target for hackers because they offer a stealthy way to distribute malware to a wide range of Internet users. The best way to reduce the risk of infection is to avoid these types of web sites and not use any P2P applications. Read P2P Software User Advisories and Risks of File-Sharing Technology.
Mark
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users