Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Major problem

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 dovecallh

dovecallh

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:21 AM

Posted 15 November 2009 - 03:24 PM

I'm using my laptop for now but ran into a problem with my desktop.
First off - I could kick myself for not being protected enough but cash was an issue.
A long time ago I installed AVG free anti-virus.

The other day I got a pop up.
It is a DEMO anti-virus program. ~ called ( AntiVirus Plus )
It started running a computer scan, over riding everything and telling me I have trojans and viruses etc.

Even though I've been using the free program - I alway run a complete scan and do all the cookie removal, disc cleanup, defrag. and yes I have the recommended firewall ON.

I went off line and ran a scan using AVG - which detected 2 trojans and removed them.
But when I look on ( add / remove program ) I can't find the program listed.
How can I remove the Demo without loosing everything on my puter?

What is the best Anti-Virus software to purchase?

I was looking at the Norton 2010 Security program from walmart (3 user) for abt $ 50.
Would prefer to buy at a store so I can install a disc on desktop and laptop rather than purchase online.

Is this very good? or can someone suggest a better or different product.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 techextreme

techextreme

Bleepin Tech

• BC Advisor
  • 2,125 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:21 AM

Posted 15 November 2009 - 03:38 PM

Please look here for the instructions to remove "Antivirus Plus".

Once you run Malwarebytes, you may also want to think about opening a new topic in the "Am I infected" forum or ask one of the Mod's to move this post to that forum and post your malwarebytes logs. By doing that, you will get help that are experienced in removing spyware and malware programs.

As for the "best" antivirus on the market today, there are many different thoughts on which is the "best". My personal favorite is Eset Nod32 Antivirus. I have used many in the many years I have been working on computers and "at this time" find it to work the best for me.

As for what everyone else has to say, you can search the forums and find many different trains of thought as to which one is the best.

Hope this helps,

Techextreme

"Admire those who attempt great things, even though they fail."

-- Seneca

#3 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2009 - 04:23 PM

Topic moved from Introductions.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#4 dovecallh

dovecallh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2009 - 04:58 PM

Thank you for your help.
I'll check that forum out.

0 user(s) are reading this topic