Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Westell Startech Ubuntu Ethernet

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

Poll: Wubi Ubuntu vs pure Ubuntu Desktop (0 member(s) have cast votes)

I did Wubi install of Ubuntu on Windows - stable

1. My Wubi install is unstable so I uninstalled (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

2. I configured a pure Ubuntu Desktop & Use Ethernet to Router (0 votes [0.00%])

3. I connect pure Ubuntu Desktop (no Windows partition) using Wi-Fi (0 votes [0.00%])

4. I have never tried Ubuntu - prefer Windows (0 votes [0.00%])

5. I have never tried Ubuntu - prefer Mac (0 votes [0.00%])

6. I think Ubuntu will be serious competition for Micro$oft (0 votes [0.00%])

7. I use a different Linux, prefer command line to Gui (0 votes [0.00%])

8. GUI graphical user interface is very important to me (0 votes [0.00%])

9. I update and install in Ubuntu using Synaptic Mgr (0 votes [0.00%])

10. I use LAMP (Linux Apache MySQL PhP) (0 votes [0.00%])

I can point you to Ubuntu tutorial forums chats

1. for php login applications with solid security (0 votes [0.00%])

2. for Python using MySQL (0 votes [0.00%])

3. for Pearl using MySQL (0 votes [0.00%])

4. Is WINE important for you to run Windows apps under Ubuntu (0 votes [0.00%])

5. I use Paltalk to discuss Ubuntu (0 votes [0.00%])

6. I use IRC to discuss Ubuntu (0 votes [0.00%])

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 WilliamBuell

WilliamBuell

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:38 AM

Posted 15 November 2009 - 01:45 PM

I use Verizon DSL with a Westell 327W Router. I have one Dell Windows XP hard wired to the router, and second XP connected via WiFi with a Belkin USB adapter.

I want to take a 3rd computer, an Ubuntu desktop install, and use a startec.com ST100S 10/100 mbps Ethernet PCI, which claims to have a Linux driver.

BIG QUESTION: If I do succeed in attaching the Ubuntu Desktop through the startech ethernet, is there any danger that the Westell modem will somehow be reset or reconfigured or disturbed so that I lose Internet and have to wait for a Verizon technician to show up and fix things.

IF there IS such a danger, then I will go with wifi for the Ubuntu desktop, perhaps trying the wrapper method for the Belkin USB driver.

I blog about my Wubi Ubuntu experience and questionas http://williambuell.wordpress.com

Edited by WilliamBuell, 15 November 2009 - 01:48 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:38 AM

Posted 15 November 2009 - 04:21 PM

Why would plugging a PC, no matter what OS is installed on it, into a modem/router change it? So no I wouldn't worry about the Westell =)

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#3 WilliamBuell

WilliamBuell
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2009 - 04:56 PM

Why would plugging a PC, no matter what OS is installed on it, into a modem/router change it? So no I wouldn't worry about the Westell =)

Thanks! That's just what I needed to know. But, obviously, I am not technically versed. So what is OBVIOUS to you may not be obvious to me. A professor of Russian language, in the 1970s once said to me "There is no such thing as a foolish question, for IF it is a question in your mind, it is a LEGITIMATE question. There are only foolish answers." Beginners should be encouraged to ask questions, and not ridiculed, for that is how they learn. And those who are fortunate enough to have expertise and experience should not gloat in their knowledge as if it were wisdom. I once mentioned to an examining physician something very obscure and little known, about the anastamosis (joining) of a one vein to the left renal vein which is totally different on the right. He was astounded and asked how I could possible know that, not being a physician. I explained that all one has to do is read, and remember a fact, and the only difference between a physician and a plumber, is that plumbers still make house calls, but physicians do not.

Plus, if I had 5 routers, and 3 providers, and money flowing out my kazoo, I would just plug the cable in and see what happens. But, if something DOES go wrong, then since I only have one router and one provider, then I must spend hours on the phone with tech support, or, if that fails, spend days waiting for a technician to show up from Verizon.

Oh, by the way, I found a free beginners manual in PDF, on Ubuntu, which also mentions that IF the Ubuntu machine has an internet card, THEN connecting it to the router should give instantaneous internet access.

http://www.ubuntupocketguide.com/index_main.html

And, this is a bit off topic, but I spent much of last night experimenting with that Ubuntu chat program EMPATHY. When I initially clicked on Empathy, it launched a wizard asking me first if I wanted a Jabber account, and then asking me if I want to add AIM, MSN, Yahoo, ICQ, etc.

I only added Yahoo. Later, I tired to add other things and could not see how to get back into that wizard dialogue. I googled and found other posts suggesting that there was some problem. I UNINSTALLED REMOVED and reinstalled EMPATHY, but still no wizard. THEN I discovered that F4 will bring up a window to ADD other chat programs (which is not intuitively obvious to a beginner). I was pleased to see that my Wubi Ubuntu install is stable enough to remove and reinstall Empathy without crashing things.

I am very curious to explore the limits of the Wubi install on a Windows machine. Tonight I will have that old tower, and do a pure Ubuntu desktop install, and first I will try the wrapper technique with a Belkin Wi-Fi, and later I will experiment with the cable from the Ethernet to the router. I was a bit confused as to whether I should install Ubuntu DESKTOP or Ubuntu Server, but reading up on it made me realize that I am better off with the Desktop, because that gives the most GUI, and then ADD LAMP (Apache, MySQL, PhP) with the synaptic manager, since that is all I really want anyway and I will not use the machine as an actual server to other clients.

Edited by WilliamBuell, 15 November 2009 - 04:57 PM.

#4 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:38 AM

Posted 15 November 2009 - 05:48 PM

You plugged a XP machine into the modem/router and nothing happened. So I was curious why you would think a Linux based machine would make a difference. Sorry if it came off as snotty. And I have always said, the only stupid question is the one un-asked.

The other thing you could look into is Sun VirtualBox. I have Ubuntu and Win7 RC installed inside it. But you can install all kinds of OS's, mess with them all you like. That way you aren't limited to just that version Linux, you could install them all, as long as you have the hard drive space. =)

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#5 WilliamBuell

WilliamBuell
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2009 - 07:25 PM

You plugged a XP machine into the modem/router and nothing happened. So I was curious why you would think a Linux based machine would make a difference. Sorry if it came off as snotty. And I have always said, the only stupid question is the one un-asked.

The other thing you could look into is Sun VirtualBox. I have Ubuntu and Win7 RC installed inside it. But you can install all kinds of OS's, mess with them all you like. That way you aren't limited to just that version Linux, you could install them all, as long as you have the hard drive space. =)

Aha, you misunderstood. I have NEVER until now had the guts to plug anything into the Westell router, because we have little money, and I cant afford the headache and expense of messing up my home internet. But now, from what you tell me and what I have read in google (and I wrote a long support question to Startech, who will probably get back to me next week about their Ethernet card which is only $10, and claims to have Linux drivers).

Also, here is a funny true story. Last week, I thought my stepdaughter was telling me that she has an old tower she doesnt want, and I could wipe out the drive with a pure Ubuntu install. She just called to say her husband was bringing it over with a monitor (which I can keep).... but when I told her my plans, she was horrified, and said that she wants me to CLEAN UP THE VIRUSES and give it back to her, because right now it will only boot in F2 Safe mode. Ha ha! I am glad I asked, and she should have been less vague and cavalier. But now I have little fear about plugging the cable from the Westell jack into the ethernet jack. Besides, it stands to reason what when any software is about to modify anything, it would prompt.

Although, here are two things I didnt understand about Verizon DSL. Once, I changed the password on the Verizon email account, and that DISABLES the modem that is connected to that account, and a service technician must do a number of things over the phone to restore the DSL service. That was a painful lesson. Another time, DSL was down, and I though I should take a pen and hit the reset button on the Westell. I didnt realize that doing that WIPES OUT EVERYTHING in the Westell, and you have to get on the phone for an hour with a technician to reset the Westell. So perhaps those two horrible experiences contribute to my fear and hesitancy to mess with the Westell.

Old saying: once burnt, twice shy. Plus, if it ain't broke dont fix it. Years ago we had our first home DSL with AOL. My stepson who was only 13, decided one day to reinstall AOL from a new diskette that came in the mail. That WIPED OUT THE DSL, and AOL was NEVER able to restore it, and their tech dept was not too worried about restoring it.

Thanks for your feedback, it did help! I wasn't hesitant about hooking up an Ubuntu machine. I am just scared to death of Verizon and Westell. I did take the courage to go into the Westell setep to enable Wifi with WEP key protection. 3 years ago in my 27 story high rise, one could pick up all sorts of unprotected wi-fi. NOW, all the channels are protected and one is even named "GET AWAY!!!". People began to realize that other people could steal bandwidth.

I would like to close by suggestion something that I think Thomas Jefferson would suggest were he alive today: namely FREE PUBLIC WIFI in every city. Jefferson asked that only two accomplishments be mentioned on his tombstone: that he signed the Declaration of Independence, and that he founded the University of Virginia. Jefferson suggested free education for all, which in his day seemed like a strange idea. After all, education was only for nobility and the wealthy. The peasant farmers and laborers didnt need to know how to read. But Jefferson realized that unless ALL were educated, even laborers and farm workers, then there could NEVER be a government "of the people and by the people."

What does this have to do with free wi-fi, you ask? Everything. Today, computer illiteracy is the new danger. In 1960, my mother had to fight to get me a $2000 World Book encyclopedia so I could do my homework in 6th grade, because there were no libraries close by. But today, who buys an encylopedia, when there are search engines and things like Wikipedia?
Every child NEED computers and internet access. True there are dangers and abuses in chat rooms etc, but then there are dangers in the postal mail system. That does not mean we should do away with the post office. It means that we should find safe guards and establish punishments for crimes committed using the U.S. mail or the internet. We must make it a crime to shout FIRE as a joke in a public auditorium, but we must preserve freedom of speech. And if there is ANYTHING at all in this world which will unify all peoples and nations and creeds it is the communication and understanding provided by the Internet. I know because I have a friend of 10 years now in Tehran Iran, who loves Plato and Tolstoy and Dostoevsky and everything that is western and free.

In a very poor neighborhood in one large city in India, where there are many high tech computer firms, as an experiment, they installed many rugged computer terminals in the alley ways where homeless street children dwelt. Those children quickly learned how use the Internet, even in ways which were brilliant, sly, unexpected, crafty.

The virtualbox is a good suggestion. What I need is some spare computers that I can afford to mess up. Then I can be bold, daring, experimental.

Kissenger said "nothing clears the thinking more quickly than a total lack of alternatives."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users