Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

URL redirection and svchost exceptions

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 mightfly

mightfly

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:07 PM

Posted 15 November 2009 - 01:34 PM

A number of problems have recently developed with my Sony Vaio laptop:

1. 'svchost' exceptions which occur after logging on;

2. URL redirection to shopping sites;

3. AVG 9.0 update failures;

3. Malwarebytes forced shutdown.

I posted the details onto the AVG forum as it seemed to be related to upgrading from AVG 8.5 to AVG 9.0 Anti-Virus Free Edition:

AVG forum post

However, I have tried all the suggested fixes but, unfortunately, none has worked.

The symptoms seem very similar to those posted by Kenickie on this BB:

Infection that shuts down Malwarebytes, Proving very difficult to remove!

I would be very grateful for any assistance in tracking this one down - presumably it could also be logging keystrokes.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mightfly

mightfly
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:07 PM

Posted 16 November 2009 - 12:46 PM

Just for information, it turns out there were a number of trojan infections (18) which seem to have been cleaned successfully by Malwarebytes.

After gleaning information from other posts, essentially the steps which worked for me were:

1. Disconnected from the internet and removed AVG 9.0 completely;

2. Rebooted;

3. Ran a scan with Malwarebytes (removing AVG 9.0 enabled it to run for more than a few seconds) and used it to fix a number of Trojans which seem to have been residing in: msacm32.drv and wuasirvy.dll (C:\windows)
There were also infected dlls in the Macromedia user download area.

4. Reconnected to the internet and updated Malwarebytes and ran a full scan again which was clear.

Hope this helps anyone else experiencing similar symptoms. A reply on the AVG forum suggests running the Malwarebytes scan in safe mode.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users