Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

graphics experience lousy on HP

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 ltdave

ltdave

• Members
  • 268 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:24 AM

Posted 15 November 2009 - 12:06 PM

i got this letter from a buddy of mine...

i dont have any answers for him but he explains whats going on pretty well...

I have the following laptop HP dv6704nr

It used to run games rather well but not anymore. My windows experience score (Vista) dropped significantly since a clean install of that OS. I lost the majority of my score in the graphics category, which leads me to believe that the factory set up did not reset with the clean install.

After this debacle I installed (OEM) windows 7Pro 64bit. The windows experience score was unchanged. The score is a 3.2 for what it matters. I have also upped my RAM to a full 4gb from the original 2gb. The computer is recognizing all 4gb.

The only use for my computer is playing EVE which requires very little in the form of graphics and the game actually plays faster on my other laptop with a 1.4mhz Celeron processor running XPhome and 2gb of RAM.

The 7150M graphics accelerator is supposed to pull some of the RAM and apply it to the video. Thinking I could dedicate RAM to the 7150M manually, I went into the BIOS. The BIOS setting for RAM dedicated to video was set to 64mb. I manually set it to 128mb. My only options are 32, 64 and 128. This increased my game performance which again leads me to believe that the settings are not allocating the RAM in the manner of the initial set up.

I also went into the Invidia control panel and set the 3-D to performance instead of quality which had no marked improvement. According to Invidia there is nothing more I can do to improve this card’s performance. HP had nothing to add except that I could pay them $60 and they would ‘optimize’ my system. They suggested some 3rd party software that could change the BIOS settings so I can dedicate more RAM to the video accelerator.

A little research and it was recommended changing the registry (which scares the bejeezus out of me!) here are my options:

A ) give HP the money to fix the computer (will it really do anything?)
B ) find this 3rd party software and mess with the BIOS (any suggestions on software?)
C ) change the registry (would like to avoid at all costs)

any thoughts on what to do to fix this?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 caperdog

caperdog

• BC Advisor
  • 954 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:24 AM

Posted 15 November 2009 - 12:55 PM

have you re-installed all of the drivers or this machine ? including chipset and up to date video drivers?

#3 ltdave

ltdave
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 268 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:24 AM

Posted 15 November 2009 - 01:06 PM

up to date video drivers yes...

up to date chipset drivers? how do you do that? my buddy probably isnt capable of doing that unless its something simple :thumbsup:

edit!

yes the amd athlon64 driver update has been downloaded and an attempt will be made to see if its any better

Edited by ltdave, 15 November 2009 - 01:55 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users