Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hotkeys Freeware

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 penmore

penmore

Malware Sniffer

• Members
  • 757 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:36 PM

Posted 15 September 2004 - 03:34 PM

Hi,
I'm looking for some hotkeys software in which I can set my own functions to keys. To be able to set macros against keys that access Internet web sites is really what I really want.

Has anyone any suggestions or is it just a case of googling for one?.

I could possible achieve it with the Keynote software I'm using but can't get past the pop up box that appears following clicking on a URL link. :thumbsup:

Thanks,
Peter :flowers:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,388 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:36 PM

Posted 16 September 2004 - 12:18 PM

I would be intersted in this as well :thumbsup:

#3 JEservices

JEservices

helping hand

• Members
  • 1,700 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:36 PM

Posted 16 September 2004 - 02:46 PM

Are you talking about mapping your keyboard's function keys like F1, F2, ect...?

Or are you talking about a keyboard that has special keys, like E-Mail, Internet, Favorite?

...Or would you like to know the way to have keyboard shortcuts, that when you press them, an application opens up, just as if you clicked the icon? Such as you could use for when you save the web page, as a shortcut, and the keyboard press, opens it.
We are all curious like a cat. We wonder, we ask, we learn.
Please post back when a suggestion works, so that others may learn.

#4 penmore

penmore

Malware Sniffer

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 757 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2004 - 03:00 PM

Hi Jason,
If I were using Notepad, I would like to create a macro that would take a piece of blocked text and create a search command for say google and then action it. The sort of thing I had in mind was:

I would have blocked this realsched.exe

The macro would then action this search on google.

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=realsched...F-8&hl=en&meta=

The main aim is when I am reviewing HijackThis logs I can examine an entry without having to cut-n-paste the search criterial all the time. There are different websites that I use so I would have a different search URL for each site and just pick up the variable data off the HTJ log.

Best wishes,
Peter

#5 JEservices

JEservices

helping hand

• Members
  • 1,700 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:36 PM

Posted 16 September 2004 - 03:23 PM

I do not know how to write macros, but I think that I have found your answer. What you want to do, is to right-click a word, and have Google search for it. Do the search automatically, from Notepad, without having to cut-and-paste. Now that I think about it, I sort of have your answer...

This can be done in Opera. You can right-click any word, and select search with...Google (or others). The only problem is, you want it to be done in notepad. To do this, you can not right-click the text file and select open with Opera. This is how you do it: Open up Opera, and select File -> Open -> (location and name of file). You will load the text file in Opera. Some of the formatting may be a little off, but you can right-click any word, and select search with->Google (or others). When you go to save the file, it will automatically save it as a text file. The downside with opening up a text file, with Opera, is that you can not make any changes.

I almost for got the link for the free d/l of Opera. Opera

Hope that helps.
We are all curious like a cat. We wonder, we ask, we learn.
Please post back when a suggestion works, so that others may learn.

#6 penmore

penmore

Malware Sniffer

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 757 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2004 - 07:15 AM

Hi Jason,
Many thanks for your input. I'm not sure that Opera will fit the bill.

I've managed to find a free full version of Hot Keyboard 1.7 on one of my computer magazine CDrom give aways. I've installed it and am currently testing.

Will let you both know whether it fits the bill.

Peter

#7 Triglav

Triglav

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:36 PM

Posted 17 September 2004 - 07:39 AM

I am not sure what you want and if these programs can do it for you, but maybe you want to look here:

http://www.snapfiles.com/downloadfind.php?action=s&st=hotkey

#8 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:36 PM

Posted 17 September 2004 - 07:52 AM

Who want the hotkeys program?? I got one and I use it all the time! Never thought anybody would want one...... Its called hotkeycontrol Xp! Here you all go you can setup a number ok keyboard combinations to do almost anything!

http://www.majorgeeks.com/download1141.html

#9 penmore

penmore

Malware Sniffer

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 757 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2004 - 08:14 AM

Looks like it will fit the bill perfectly. Ive just created this Search Google macro which will launch IE and run the following as if it was pasted into the address line and the enter key pressed.

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=NPROTECT....F-8&hl=en&meta=

The Search Google macro (ctrl+g) was designated to run from a KeyNote window (but could be Notepad or anything else) and the NPROTECT.EXE was automatically inserted using a ctrl+v command, having been previously copied into the clipboard using a ctrl+c command in the Keynote software.

I hope that explanation is clear? :flowers:

Peter :thumbsup:

typos

Edited by penmore, 17 September 2004 - 08:17 AM.

#10 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:36 PM

Posted 17 September 2004 - 09:13 AM

Hope it all works for you...I myself read hjt logs and am always looking for a good way to do it. Your question might help me too?????? I think it will...
CGM3

#11 penmore

penmore

Malware Sniffer

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 757 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2004 - 02:59 AM

Hi cowsgonemadd3,

I think you are right, it does very much improve the exercise of copying program file names, CLSID's and other information from a log and then into the appropriate webpage or find box. The only problem I can see at the moment is that the free version that I have is v1.7 and their now on version v2.5.

In between they have added winkey, XP and mouse recording support along with a whole lot more. The software costs are small (IMHO) and if you are to continue with HijackThis log analysis then I would think that this software would be a good addition. You'll find their site at: Hot Keyboard.

If you don't already know, there is available, a hot key program that is configured for use with HijackThis logs you'll find information here Acsell's HJT Tutorial I need to check if Acell has any other hot key software before I dive into Hot Keyboard.

Best of luck,
Peter :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users