Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

exchanging Pata for Sata

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 patchfree

patchfree

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:50 AM

Posted 15 November 2009 - 11:57 AM

My plan is, after replacing my motherboard (and processor and ram), to exchange, in a second step, the system HDD (but without reinstalling the system and applications).

My idea will be to make a copy of the HDD (a ghost) but in the same time changing the IDE type (PATA) for a SATA one.

Two questions:
- making a ghost HDD with two different interfaces, is it possible?
- swapping the two discs will go well or difficulties could be expected?

Note that my OS is WinXPproSP3 corporate.

Patch

Edited by patchfree, 15 November 2009 - 11:58 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,246 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:50 AM

Posted 15 November 2009 - 12:18 PM

Well...that plan may need modifications.

Replacing a PATA hard drive with a SATA hard drive....that's easily accomplished by cloning the system partition to the SATA drive.

The problems occur when you talk about changing motherboards, IMO.

Changing a Motherboard or Moving Hard Drive - http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/moving_xp.html

Not to mention that reactivation will be required, since a motherboard change is considered a change of systems.

Louis

#3 patchfree

patchfree
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2009 - 03:36 PM

Louis,

OK.

I have already read about changing the motherboard (anyway thanks for the link).

My plan now is:
1. Exchange the motherboard (as explained in the linked page) but keeping my system HDD

2. If all goes right, in a second time, I'll proceed with cloning my system (Pata) HDD to a Sata one, then physically exchange the Pata for the sata. That in order to improve the system performance during HDD access. Is't correct?

My concern will be the first stage of the process: exchanging the motherboard. Not so easy. In my opinion the activation will not be a problem bacause my WinXP Pro is a corporate one (no activation required). Anyway I can proceed with the reactivation.

Patch

#4 patchfree

patchfree
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2009 - 04:19 PM

Hi Louis,

Any advice for my plan?

Patch

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,246 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:50 AM

Posted 16 November 2009 - 04:33 PM

I've already provided all the useful information I know of regarding such.

Using a hard drive from one system...with a different motherboard can be done successfully...but I've always wound up doing a repair install of XP after the changeover. That's not always guaranteed to work, so be prepared to do a clean install (if necessary).

As for exchanging a SATA drive for a PATA as a boot drive...I'm a little different. I actually prefer to have the smaller PATA drives as boot drives/partitions, while using the SATA drives purely for storage.

I started off with Windows 95 and 6GB hard drives...I've never been one to become ecstatic the faster the system boots. I'd rather have it access my data files faster, if anything.

If you are using a CD to do this install...you might as well slipstream the SATA driver into a new install CD.

Louis

#6 patchfree

patchfree
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2009 - 02:52 PM

Many thanks for these comments. I'll try to make them useful for me.

Regards

Patch

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users