Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No Taskbar, Start menu, internet on XP PC

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Connectigreg

Connectigreg

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:09 PM

Posted 15 November 2009 - 11:06 AM

Dear friends:
I am revisiting this top approx 1-1/2 years later, still searching for resolution. My teenage son attempted to download a codec via internet for gaming on a Windows XP PC, and the results are as follows: the taskbar and start menu have disappeared; internet explorer flashes open for a millisecond, then closes; I cannot copy files to or from a jump drive plugged into any available USB port.
Today, if I take dds.scr over to that computer on my ScanCruzer 4GB jump drive, and click to open, it, too, simply flashes open for a moment, then closes.
I'm also having trouble opening RootRepeal.exe from the jump drive, on the stricken computer - appears to be hanging up (endless hourglass) and I have now seen a "virtual memory too low" message.
When last discussed here, we were trying to figure out why I cannot move files to or from a jump drive - as, earlier in the process, I was able to copy off at least three different HijackThis logs, which I still have copies of, and would be able to post in a follow-up to this topic.
I also have a Windows XP disk ... but, don't want to reinstall just yet, as all my photo, music, etc., files on the XP computer are still "good" and have not been affected by the malware / virus. If I could download all of those files to a jump drive, I might be willing to simply reinstall XP.
Hoping someone can help ...
Connectigreg

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:09 PM

Posted 17 November 2009 - 09:00 PM

You could remove the hard drive and install it in another computer as a slave and get the files off of it

You could also try a rescue disk:

Vipre rescue disk
http://live.sunbeltsoftware.com/

If you cannot bootup normally, cannot transfer required tools to the infected machine and cannot download anything while in safe mode, then your options are limited to what security tools you have on your computer. If those tools do not work, then your options become even more limited.

Have you tried using System Restore from a command prompt in Safe Mode to return to a previous state before your problems began?

If that doesn't work. these are links to Anti-virus vendors that offer free LiveCD or Rescue CD utilities that are used to boot from for repair of unbootable and damaged systems, rescue data, scan the system for virus infections. Burn it as an image to a disk to get a bootable CD. All (except Avira) are in the ISO Image file format. Avira uses an EXE that has built-in CD burning capability.If you are not sure how to burn an image, please read How to write a CD/DVD image or ISO. If you need a FREE utility to burn the ISO image, download and use ImgBurn.

Note: In order to use a rescue disk, the boot order must be set to start from the CD-ROM drive. If the CD is not first in the boot order, the computer will attempt to start normally by booting from the hard drive. The boot order is a setting found in the computerís BIOS which runs when it is first powered on. This setting controls the order that the BIOS uses to look for a boot device from which to load the operating system. The default will normally be A:, C:, CD-ROM. Different computers have different ways to enter the BIOS. If you're not sure how to do this, refer to:
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 Connectigreg

Connectigreg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:09 PM

Posted 31 January 2010 - 11:17 AM

Hello, my friend! I am so thankful for the info you provided, in directing me to Avira AntiVir Rescue System, back in November.

Since my PC is still not entirely functional, I was not able to capture or print out any of the details, but I can re-create what appears to be the most signficant message received , from handwritten notes, here:

ALERT: [TR / ATRAPS.gen] / media / Devices / hda1 / i386 / apps / app00153 / App0153.exe --> hp / bin / Core1WP / src / setup / bfix.exe <<< Is the Trojan horse TR / ATRAPs. Gen
file renamed / media / Devices / hdc / ititrd.gz

My apologies to you for the delay in posting this info; I also recall, at the time, the Avira instructions suggesting that I next needed to scan my PC again .. but it was not clear to me, whether I was expected to run the Avira AntiVir Rescue System, again (I think not), or some other Avira tool. I probably should have posted to the Avira forum, immediately, for clarification on that detail.

Anyway, are you able to point me in the direction of re-gaining access to my operating system on this infected PC?

What are my next steps?

Thanking you, in advance, with great appreciation for the progress made, so far,

Connectigreg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users