Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Are Sata hard drives natively managed by WinXP SP3?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 patchfree

patchfree

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:07 PM

Posted 15 November 2009 - 09:24 AM

The first version of winxp needed a specific driver to be added during the first steps of the installing process to make possible to install winxp on a bootable sata hard disk drive (system on a sata HDD).
I think now, and namely WinXP with SP3 does not longer need such a driver.

Someboby can confirm?

Many thanks

Patch

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,242 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:07 AM

Posted 15 November 2009 - 10:29 AM

The installation of SATA drivers for a Windows XP install...has nothing to do with SPs, it has to do with the motherboard.

If the motherboard has SATA controllers...and the board employs what is called "IDE emulation" as part of the BIOS package...drivers don't have to be installed. IDE emulation is a process where a SATA drive is viewed as a PATA drive for purposes of installing XP.

If a motherboard does not support IDE emulation...SATA drivers must be installed before Windows XP can recognize the drive as a device fit for install of XP.

Another way "around" this situation...create a slipstreamed XP install CD with the SATA drivers included as part of the resulting XP boot CD.

Louis

#3 patchfree

patchfree
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:07 PM

Posted 15 November 2009 - 10:45 AM

Thanks for these pieces of clarification.
I remember that with my preceding motherboard (I am in the process to exchange my motherboard for a new one without changing the system and applications) I have to hit the key F6 to be able to load a kind of driver for sata disk from a floppy disk provided by the motherboard supplier during the first step of installig win xp. This was making mind trouble. At that time it was the debut of sata drive...

Patch

Edit: Edited to remove unnecessary quote. ~ tg

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,242 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:07 AM

Posted 15 November 2009 - 10:53 AM

Easily done, happy computing :thumbsup:.

Louis

FWIW: Changing a Motherboard or Moving Hard Drive - http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/moving_xp.html

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users