Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Compression Agent

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 JWB

JWB

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:25 AM

Posted 06 August 2005 - 10:16 PM

I have an older computer HP with Win98 and recently used the restore disk. Each time I boot up, I get a 'compression agent' window with a question "would you like to run Drive Space 3 now?". I select no, it goes away. I have 2 hard-drives with plenty of free space. How do I get rid of this message?

Jim

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 River_Rat

River_Rat

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2005 - 11:09 PM

You should be able to disable it from the config. utility.
Start>Run>(type) msconfig>look for compression agent and uncheck it and reboot.

#3 JWB

JWB
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2005 - 12:20 PM

You should be able to disable it from the config. utility.
Start>Run>(type) msconfig>look for compression agent and uncheck it and reboot.

Bud,

I tried the start/run/msconfig but found no compression agent blocks to uncheck. I tried all the tabs in msconfig. window. Are you sure this is Win98 OS? Could it be under another name instead of compression agent?

Jim

#4 River_Rat

River_Rat

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2005 - 08:54 PM

Go to:
Start>Settings>Control Panel>Add & Remove Programs>Windows Settup Tab>Look to see if there is Compression Agent or Drive Space 3 and uncheck it.

This will just show you how to get there and what Windows Setup looks like.
http://www.dak2000.com/tutorials/Tutorial_...gComponents.cfm

#5 JWB

JWB
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2005 - 09:39 PM

Go to:
Start>Settings>Control Panel>Add & Remove Programs>Windows Settup Tab>Look to see if there is Compression Agent or Drive Space 3 and uncheck it.

This will just show you how to get there and what Windows Setup looks like.
http://www.dak2000.com/tutorials/Tutorial_...gComponents.cfm

No compression or DriveSpace3 blocks in Win. Setup Tab. I did find a compression (checked) block in the original start/task bar startup area, removed it (no results) put it back.

#6 River_Rat

River_Rat

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2005 - 10:33 PM

This problem dates back to before the turn of the century, and nobody has found a solution that they know of. I have tryed to duplicate it on my 98 machine with no luck. So lets rename the executable file and see if it causes any problems.

Go to:

C:\Program Files\Plus

Right Click>Rename
Cmpagent.exe to Cmpagent.ex#

Reboot and see what happens, worked good for me with no problems.

#7 JWB

JWB
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2005 - 08:34 PM

This problem dates back to before the turn of the century, and nobody has found a solution that they know of. I have tryed to duplicate it on my 98 machine with no luck. So lets rename the executable file and see if it causes any problems.

Go to:

C:\Program Files\Plus

Right Click>Rename
Cmpagent.exe to Cmpagent.ex#

Reboot and see what happens, worked good for me with no problems.

Bud,

After reboot as describe above, I got a Missing Shortcut window with the following info..Windows is looking for CMPAgent.exe. The nearest file found is C/Program Files/Plus/CMPagent.ex#.exe. Do you want this shortcut to point to this item? Yes/No

What if we just delete cmpagent? I'm sure with 2 hard drives I won't need it for this computer.

Jim

#8 River_Rat

River_Rat

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2005 - 10:14 PM

Well Jim I was afraid of that and if we don't find what is causing it to load at startup then if we delete it then it will search for it at startup and then an error window will pop up say it couldn't find it.

I don't think you will find it but look in the startup folder and see if it is there.
C:\Windows\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Startup

If by some chance it is there then delete it.

I am doing some testing with deleting Compression Agent from the registry to see if it has any repercussions.

In the meantime go back and change the executable file back to
Cmpagent.exe

#9 River_Rat

River_Rat

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2005 - 11:13 PM

Jim
This is what I need to get you to do, go to the registry and do a search for Cmpagent.

Start>Run>(type) regedit>OK

Then
Go to Edit>Find>(type) Cmpagent>Click Find Next

Then
Write down all the paths it finds, when it finds one the path will be listed in the Status Bar (shown in the pic.) after it finds one and you write it down then press F3 and it will find the next one. I have 4 on my 98machine but you should have more because there is one or more in some startup key somewhere.

Status Bar:

Posted Image

#10 JWB

JWB
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2005 - 07:02 PM

Jim
This is what I need to get you to do, go to the registry and do a search for Cmpagent.

Start>Run>(type) regedit>OK

Then
Go to Edit>Find>(type) Cmpagent>Click Find Next

Then
Write down all the paths it finds, when it finds one the path will be listed in the Status Bar (shown in the pic.) after it finds one and you write it down then press F3 and it will find the next one. I have 4 on my 98machine but you should have more because there is one or more in some startup key somewhere.

Status Bar:

Posted Image

Bud,

I only found one:
My Computer\HKEY_Local_Machine\Software\Microsoft\Plus\systemAgent\SAGE\CompressionAgent

Jim

#11 River_Rat

River_Rat

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2005 - 09:42 PM

Well Jim that is really wierd.
It has to be in some startup group somewhere.

It should have been in at least one of these:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunServices
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnceEx
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

Well this is going to be a long drawn out deal but maybe we can find the problem.
Follow the instuctions in the Troubleshooting Example.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/192926/EN-US/

These are the instructions to follow from the above page.

Go to: Start>Run>(type) msconfig
1. Clean boot the computer:

a.  On the General tab in the System Configuration Utility, click Selective Startup. 
b.  Click to clear all of the check boxes in the Selective Startup section, and then click OK. 
c.  When you are prompted to restart your computer, do so. 
When you test your program, the behavior no longer occurs.

NOTE: If the behavior still occurs, you may not be able to resolve the behavior by clean booting your computer. View the "Advanced Clean-Boot Troubleshooting" section in this article, use the Microsoft Knowledge Base to query for information about the behavior that you are experiencing, or contact Microsoft Technical Support. 
2. To determine if a line in either the Win.ini file or the System.ini file causes the behavior:

a.  On the General tab in the System Configuration utility, click Selective Startup. 
b.  Click to select the both the Process Win.ini file check box and the Process System.ini file check box, and then click OK. 
When you test your program, the behavior does not occur. Nothing in the Win.ini file or the System.ini file causes the behavior. 
3. To determine if a line in the Autoexec.bat file causes the behavior:

a.  On the General tab in the System Configuration utility, click to select the Process Autoexec.bat file check box, and then click OK. 
b.  When you are prompted to restart your computer, do so. 
When you test your program, the behavior does not occur. Nothing in the Autoexec.bat file causes the behavior. Since the Winstart.bat file does not exist in this example, something in the Config.sys file must cause the behavior. 
4. In this example, the Config.sys file contains eight lines. To determine which half of the file contains the line that causes the behavior:

a.  On the General tab in the System Configuration utility, click to select the Process Config.sys file check box, and then click the Config.sys tab. 
b.  On the Config.sys tab, click to clear the check boxes for the first half of the lines in the list. In this example, you click to clear the first four check boxes. 
c.  Click OK. When you are prompted to restart your computer, do so. 
When you test your program, the behavior does not occur. The line that causes the behavior must be one of the first four lines in the Config.sys file. 
5. Re-select half of the check boxes that you cleared in step 5:

a.  In the System Configuration utility, click the Config.sys tab. 
b.  On the Config.sys tab, click to select the first half of the check boxes that you cleared in step 5. In this example, you click to select the first two check boxes in the list. 
When you test your program, the behavior does not occur. The line that causes the behavior must be the third or fourth line in the Config.sys file. 
6. To determine which line causes the behavior:

b.  On the Config.sys tab, click to select the first half of the remaining cleared check boxes that you cleared in step 5. In this example, you click to select the third check box in the list. 
When you test your program, the behavior does not occur. The line that causes the behavior is the fourth line in the Config.sys file.

NOTE: This line may be required to run another program or to access hardware on your computer. If this is true, check the documentation for the software or hardware manufacturer that added the line to the file, or contact the manufacturer for an updated driver. 
To restore your normal startup settings, click Normal startup - load all device drivers and software on the General tab in the System Configuration Utility, and then click OK. When you are prompted to restart your computer, click Yes.

#12 JWB

JWB
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2005 - 08:29 PM

Well Jim that is really wierd.
It has to be in some startup group somewhere.

It should have been in at least one of these:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunServices
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnceEx
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

Well this is going to be a long drawn out deal but maybe we can find the problem.
Follow the instuctions in the Troubleshooting Example.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/192926/EN-US/

These are the instructions to follow from the above page.

Go to: Start>Run>(type) msconfig
1. Clean boot the computer:

a.  On the General tab in the System Configuration Utility, click Selective Startup. 
b.  Click to clear all of the check boxes in the Selective Startup section, and then click OK. 
When you test your program, the behavior no longer occurs.

NOTE: If the behavior still occurs, you may not be able to resolve the behavior by clean booting your computer. View the "Advanced Clean-Boot Troubleshooting" section in this article, use the Microsoft Knowledge Base to query for information about the behavior that you are experiencing, or contact Microsoft Technical Support. 
2. To determine if a line in either the Win.ini file or the System.ini file causes the behavior:

a.  On the General tab in the System Configuration utility, click Selective Startup. 
b.  Click to select the both the Process Win.ini file check box and the Process System.ini file check box, and then click OK. 
When you test your program, the behavior does not occur. Nothing in the Win.ini file or the System.ini file causes the behavior. 
3. To determine if a line in the Autoexec.bat file causes the behavior:

a.  On the General tab in the System Configuration utility, click to select the Process Autoexec.bat file check box, and then click OK. 
b.  When you are prompted to restart your computer, do so. 
When you test your program, the behavior does not occur. Nothing in the Autoexec.bat file causes the behavior. Since the Winstart.bat file does not exist in this example, something in the Config.sys file must cause the behavior. 
4. In this example, the Config.sys file contains eight lines. To determine which half of the file contains the line that causes the behavior:

a.  On the General tab in the System Configuration utility, click to select the Process Config.sys file check box, and then click the Config.sys tab. 
b.  On the Config.sys tab, click to clear the check boxes for the first half of the lines in the list. In this example, you click to clear the first four check boxes. 
When you test your program, the behavior does not occur. The line that causes the behavior must be one of the first four lines in the Config.sys file. 
5. Re-select half of the check boxes that you cleared in step 5:

b.  On the Config.sys tab, click to select the first half of the check boxes that you cleared in step 5. In this example, you click to select the first two check boxes in the list. 
When you test your program, the behavior does not occur. The line that causes the behavior must be the third or fourth line in the Config.sys file. 
6. To determine which line causes the behavior:

b.  On the Config.sys tab, click to select the first half of the remaining cleared check boxes that you cleared in step 5. In this example, you click to select the third check box in the list. 
When you test your program, the behavior does not occur. The line that causes the behavior is the fourth line in the Config.sys file.

NOTE: This line may be required to run another program or to access hardware on your computer. If this is true, check the documentation for the software or hardware manufacturer that added the line to the file, or contact the manufacturer for an updated driver. 
To restore your normal startup settings, click Normal startup - load all device drivers and software on the General tab in the System Configuration Utility, and then click OK. When you are prompted to restart your computer, click Yes.

Bud,

It appears that the problem is gone. Your last reply using config./startup/clear all boxes/restart worked. I did not need to go further since this did the trick. It now boots without the compressed/driveSpace3 windows. I noticed that some of the start up items reappeared (box check) after a couple of boots. Do you think one of these items (which ever one caused the compressed windows to appear will ever reappear and if it does do I do the same procedure?

Jim

#13 River_Rat

River_Rat

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2005 - 08:42 PM

Jim
Thats good news, and to answer your question, The Good Lord only knows.
Without finding where it was starting from it could come back but I am going to say not, for some reason it was stuck in some startup file somewhere, it should have showed up in one of the Run registry keys but as I said earlier this problem has been around for a while and nobody has offered a good explanation.
I guess you have everything set back to the way it was in the config. utility?
Glad your back in business.. :thumbsup:

#14 JWB

JWB
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2005 - 07:10 AM

Jim
Thats good news, and to answer your question, The Good Lord only knows.
Without finding where it was starting from it could come back but I am going to say not, for some reason it was stuck in some startup file somewhere, it should have showed up in one of the Run registry keys but as I said earlier this problem has been around for a while and nobody has offered a good explanation.
I guess you have everything set back to the way it was in the config. utility?
Glad your back in business.. :thumbsup:

:flowers:
BUD,

Thank you. It appears this was a good problem (meaning hard problem) that took some thought and tenacity to solve. You did a great job. I'll now leave you alone to solve the next challenge.

Thanks a million, have a great day.

Jim

#15 River_Rat

River_Rat

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2005 - 08:08 AM

You're Welcome Jim
Always Glad to Help :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic