Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 - how many times can I install it?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 loque

loque

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:47 PM

Posted 15 November 2009 - 09:19 AM

Now, this might sound like a hilariously stupid question, BUT...

You know if I install this Windows 7 64-bit software now, and activate it, when I get my new PC in a month's time and do a fresh install, am I going to run into any problems because I've already installed and activated it??? I got in via the student offer from Microsoft.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kevinclarke

Kevinclarke

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:47 PM

Posted 15 November 2009 - 10:12 AM

Deae Ioque,

I think I may have posted this reply twice.. apologies if I have.. I'm new to the forum

My Understanding is as long as this is NOT an OEM copy (OEM S/W lives and dies on the same hardware) then you should be able to install it on your new hardware. You may need to contact Microsoft to deactivate it on your old system and reactivate it on you new one, but there should not be a problem as far as I'm aware, unless there are specific issues with student copies.. Does anyone else know?

Regards
Kevin

#3 oneup

oneup

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:47 AM

Posted 15 November 2009 - 03:36 PM

Microsoft may get a little mad about that. I believe when you activate, it ties that code with that comptuer (I think ti does) so if you change the hardware too much, the computer may get a little mad (I've only heard about this, and I am not sure if it is true) But I would just wait. But thats me.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users