Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop switching off

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 secretangel

secretangel

• Members
  • 154 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:55 AM

Posted 15 November 2009 - 06:02 AM

Earlier this year I bought my daughter a new laptop. For about a week or so now it has suddenly been turning off. Yesterday she had the blue screen of death and to start with I couldn't even get it to boot into safe mode. After a while when I clicked on "Repair PC" that got it working again but later had the blue screen again and it is still switching off periodically.

To me, compared to the other laptop we have, this one seems to get extremely hot when it has been on for a while and I'm wondering whether that is the problem with the switching off but would that also cause the blue screen?

My question is, as the laptop is still under warranty do I need to get it replaced now before the warranty runs out or is this something that can be fixed easily?

Thanks
Posted Image

When you wanna give up, and your hearts about to break
Remember that you're perfect, God makes no mistakes

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,247 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:55 AM

Posted 15 November 2009 - 11:05 AM

FWIW: Cleaning the Interior of your PC - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/cleaning-the-inside-of-your-pc/

Louis

#3 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2009 - 12:47 PM

You usually do not get a BSOD when overheating
Does she use the laptop on a hard surface on sitting on top of her bed?
If it is still under warranty, I would exercise that option
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#4 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,092 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2009 - 01:03 PM

I have to agree with garmanma while its nice to be able to fix things on your own the warranty is there for a reason. I can understand its not convienent to send the laptop off and wait for it to be repaired. However if you choose to open it up and void the warranty and it turns out to be a failed component your out allot of money.

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users