Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Slave Drive Crash

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Jove

Jove

• Members
  • 2,739 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:45 PM

Posted 15 November 2009 - 02:57 AM

My Desktop froze while loading my Blog, during that I switched over to the E: Drive to open it from
My Computer. It then froze I I could do nothing to get it going so I shut down suspected the E: drive, made some noises after I switched, and could not get the OS open after many turn offs and on's , disconnected the power cable to E and I am back on, . .

Can I reconnect the power cable to this drive while running ? What are the Risk ?

Edited by Jove, 15 November 2009 - 03:04 AM.

When you don't have to worry about your computer anymore, you can start
living again !

vrwqzc.gif
Success is a result, not a goal. . . . Flaubert

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:45 PM

Posted 15 November 2009 - 06:08 AM

My suggestion. Do`t do it..

Basically what you are thinking about doing is called hot swapping. Ide connected drives were never intended to do this. You could toast the hard drive.

#3 Jove

Jove
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,739 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2009 - 07:51 AM

Take your word for it, I am not certaim what happen to the HHD E:, but it didn't sound real good, I need to check it, would it hurt to turn the machine off, then reconnect the power line, and try a start up with both C: + E: connected, The E: drive does not have an operating OS, installed , although, to the best of my knowledge, there exist most of one.

When it was connected, at times Windows would try to open but all I was getting was a crystal black screen with some spaced out colors and symbols.

What do you make of that ?

living again !

vrwqzc.gif

#4 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:45 PM

Posted 15 November 2009 - 08:05 AM

I need to check it, would it hurt to turn the machine off, then reconnect the power line, and try a start up with both C: + E: connected

That would probably be the best way to go about it. But if it is making noises, other then the normal spin-up sound, it seems it is on it`s last legs.

When it was connected, at times Windows would try to open but all I was getting was a crystal black screen with some spaced out colors and symbols.

What do you make of that ?

That description is a new one on me. Sorry. Do not have a clue.

#5 Jove

Jove
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,739 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2009 - 08:32 AM

I turned the machine off and plugged in the power line and it opened on the start up, with all data in tact, . . .

I am not sure of the drives history, but I don't think it is very old, possibly 512 MB RAM, is insufficient to keep the system solid at this point, and I pressured it into some kind of a breakdown, I guess I'll be spending some time double checking data back up.
Thanks, Later.

living again !

vrwqzc.gif

#6 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2009 - 04:48 PM

My Desktop froze while loading my Blog,

So what is your blog site address?
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#7 Jove

Jove
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,739 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2009 - 06:48 PM

http://ersar.blogspot.com/2009/09/power-by...vival-gear.html

BTW, . .

This might be a good time and place to take the opportunity to express my gratitude for Bleeping Computer.com and the Forum, of who's members have allowed me to gain the capabilities to find my way in cyberspace dark, lighting and guiding my way, making the computer use, a learning experience, slightly more understandable, a bit better, and at times even cheerful !
Who without I would have a miserable existence, I'm sure.

Thank You Much !

Edited by Jove, 15 November 2009 - 07:26 PM.

living again !

vrwqzc.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users