Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Firefox timing out almost instantly

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Fuzzy2008

Fuzzy2008

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:51 PM

Posted 15 November 2009 - 02:15 AM

I'm running Firefox 3.5.5 on a windows machine with XP Pro Service pack 3 and AVG Internet Security 9.0. There are times that my web pages load fine, then other times my pages won't load or refresh. When the browser is acting up I see the swirly thing in the tab and a progress bar at the bottom that goes through it's cycle in about a half a second and no new page. I've tried holding the control when clicking on a link and a new tab opens with the link address in the address bar but no page. If I repeatedly click on the refresh maybe the fifth or fiftieth time the page will load. I get the same response sometimes when I just try to reload a page that didn't load all the way the first time. I've tried disabling the firewall thinking that maybe it might have been blocking something. I've ran a complete virus and root-kit scan on my computer, it came back clean. I download and ran MBAM found 4 infections fix them all to no avail. I've run System file checker "sfc /Scannow" to make sure that system files weren't missing or broken. I think this problem started about three weeks ago after a power outage and have run chkdsk in safe mode to make sure that there wasn't problems with the hark drive or file system. The problem has continued to get worse as the days go by. I've even downloaded IE 8 it does the same thing. I have also reinstalled my network card with no luck on resolving this. PLEASE help me.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,567 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:51 PM

Posted 25 January 2010 - 11:10 AM

What happens if you disable the firewall in AVG security? Do you still have the problem?

#3 Fuzzy2008

Fuzzy2008
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2010 - 11:17 AM

Disabling the firewall in the past has had no effect, but I will try it again. I will follow up with another post later today to let you know my results.

That didn't take too long within 10 minutes of disabling the firewall, I received the same results. Disabling the firewall has had no effect!

Edited by Fuzzy2008, 26 January 2010 - 11:55 AM.

#4 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,698 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:51 PM

Posted 26 January 2010 - 03:00 PM

When your browser times out, can you check, if "ping" command will show any connection exist?
Since it started happening after power outage, maybe your network card got little bit "sunburned".

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#5 MadDawg

MadDawg

• Members
  • 453 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2010 - 03:25 PM

You may need to restart your modem. Power it off/unplug it for about 15 secs (30 may have better results) and see if the connection stabilizes then.

You could also try hooking another computer to the modem to see if the problem occurs on that machine.
A penguin broke my windows with a half-eaten apple!

#6 Fuzzy2008

Fuzzy2008
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2010 - 06:51 PM

In reply to Broni's post about a bad network card, I thought about that and added another network card to see if that was my problem. Most of the time, by the time I open the command line to run the ping command, network communications are working again. There have been a couple of times when the comm's were down long enough for me to run a few diagnostics though. When this happens I do have a extension added to Firefox called "Broadband Speed Test and Diagnostics 1.2.5" which shows communication to the NIC but not to the Gateway or the internet. I am running a home network with two other computers on the network. None of the other computers are experiencing any network problems. I think that just covered MadDawg's post about cycling the modem and or router also.

I'm very grateful for your suggestions and I am looking at every suggestion and trying them in hopes that I may have missed something dumb.

#7 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,698 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2010 - 07:23 PM

I suggest, you completely uninstall AVG, using AVG Remover: http://www.avg.com/us-en/download-tools and see what happens.
Ultimately, you can reinstall it, if that doesn't cure the problem.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#8 Fuzzy2008

Fuzzy2008
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2010 - 02:23 AM

OK, I uninstalled AVG Internet Security and then used the removal tool on the link provided to remove every last trace of the program from my computer.

I then got back online and browsed around this forum for a couple of hours, not wanting to do too much without a firewall or anti-virus software. All seemed to be working GOOD! :thumbsup:

I then reinstalled the latest copy of AVG from their site, and browsed around my usual haunts for a couple more hours. All was still working fine. I'll post again some time tomorrow to give an update.

Thanks again, I hope it worked. First appearances said it did .

#9 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,698 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2010 - 11:06 AM

Good news :thumbsup:
Personally, I stopped recommending AVG since ver. 8.0, because it became a hog and it started causing all kind of problems, like yours, for instance.

My Website

p4433470.gif

#10 Fuzzy2008

Fuzzy2008
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2010 - 09:09 PM

OK, here's the state of things at the moment. I haven't yet completely lost connectivity, but have noticed that I do sometimes
have to reload another tab to click a link in the current one. I'm not sure if this is a new problem or a continuation of current one.

My subscription to AVG is going to end in a few more months, I have noticed that it is a CPU hog. What do you recommend?

#11 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,698 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2010 - 09:13 PM

I'd get rid of it now.
You paid for it already, so if you install one of excellent free programs, you don't lose anything.
Make sure, you use AVG Remover.

Your options:

- Avira free antivirus: http://www.free-av.com/en/download/1/avira..._antivirus.html
- Avast! free antivirus: http://www.avast.com/eng/download-avast-home.html

- free Comodo Internet Security (firewall + AV): http://www.personalfirewall.comodo.com/
NOTE. During installation, Comodo will also allow you to install AV only, or firewall only, if you prefer to combine one Comodo product with some other product.

If you decide to install Avast, or Avira, make sure, Windows firewall is turned on, or use Comodo firewall..
If you decide to install Comodo Internet Security, or just Comodo firewall, make sure, Windows firewall is turned off.

IMPORTANT! Make sure, you use only ONE antivirus, and ONE firewall.

My Website

p4433470.gif

#12 Fuzzy2008

Fuzzy2008
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2010 - 01:14 PM

The increase in performance got re-motivated to figure this thing out. I did find another problem in my Device Manager, it was another nic card that either was not completely installed or not properly removed and my new Ethernet card somehow attached itself to this device. It took me almost a whole day to figure out how to remove this device since the parent device was no longer listed in device manager. the following is how it was removed.

1. Press [Windows]+[Break] to bring up the System Properties dialog box.
2. Select the Advanced tab and click the Environment Variables button.
3. Click the New button below the System Variables panel.
4. In the New System Variable dialog box, type "devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices" in the Variable Name text box and 1 in the Variable Value text box.
5. Click OK to return to the System Properties dialog box and then click OK again.
6. Select the Hardware tab and click the Device Manager button.
7. In Device Manager, go to View | Show Hidden Devices.
8. Expand the various branches in the device tree and look for the washed out icons, which indicate unused device drivers.
9. To remove an unused device driver, right-click the icon and select Uninstall.

After I removed the corrupted driver my problems immediately seemed to disappear. FYI I am still running AVG Internet Security until I can test and evaluate an alternative. THANKS Again for the help it was and always is appreciated. Hopefully this post will help somebody else in the future. :thumbsup:

#13 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,567 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:51 PM

Posted 29 January 2010 - 01:48 PM

Interesting. I would never have thought to go that route. Thanks for letting us know how you resolved it.

#14 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,698 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2010 - 07:42 PM

Very interesting :thumbsup:

My Website

p4433470.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users