Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL (Blue Screen following three fresh installs)

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 bsgranpa

bsgranpa

• Members
  • 181 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:09 PM

Posted 15 November 2009 - 12:33 AM

The rest of the error message is as follows:

*** STOP: 0x0000000A (0xFF1701F0, 0x00000002, 0x00000000, 0x804D9B64)

I've run the Intel utility which tested my drivers and they all seem to be ok. After backing up my data, I've now done three formats and fresh installs. I;m running XP Pro. I have gotten some great help here and I hope that someone can give me some direction. Keep in mind that I'm pretty much of a novice. Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 askpcguy

askpcguy

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:09 PM

Posted 15 November 2009 - 02:48 AM

Did this computer ever work properly in the past? Were there any changes made to the hardware (Specifically the processor, memory or motherboard)? My memory isn't as great as it used to be when I was working as hands-on computer support but I would try running a memTest on your computers memory.

Memtest link http://www.memtest86.com/download.html

If you do not want to download and run Memtest, I would suggest moving the memory into another slot(s) on the motherboard.

#3 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:09 PM

Posted 15 November 2009 - 06:15 AM

Was XP the original operating system on the machine? If not then reading here may help.

At what point do you get the message?

#4 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2009 - 07:24 AM

Microsoft points to this article : http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314063

EDIT: Corrected the link. By mistake I copied ThunderZ's link, I had both links open in my browser. :thumbsup:

Edited by Romeo29, 15 November 2009 - 08:20 AM.

#5 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2009 - 07:28 AM

Microsoft points to this article : http://support.microsoft.com/kb/311564

:thumbsup: Same link as I already provided. It must be right. :flowers:

#6 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2009 - 08:23 AM

Yup ThunderZ :flowers: I opened your link to check if I am not duplicating your link. I had both links opened in my browser. And then I copied your link here! Duh. And I am not even drunk. :thumbsup:

#7 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2009 - 08:42 AM

Give it time. It`s early. :thumbsup:

#8 bsgranpa

bsgranpa
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 181 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2009 - 09:53 AM

This is a Toshiba M35-S320 laptop which I bought new in '05. I have made no hardware changes, nor have I changed operating systems (XP). I have read all of the Microsoft documentation regarding the error message and have no clue why this keeps happening. I've "restored" back to a time when this event did not occur. I've done three fresh installs and checked all hardware and drivers via "Device Manager". It's funny. I will go along for a few days with no problem. Then, I'll get my first blue screen and then it will start to happen with greater and greater regularity. This laptop has been a workhorse for me and I really want to try to keep it. Thanks for any guidance.

Bill

Edited by bsgranpa, 15 November 2009 - 09:54 AM.

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,295 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2009 - 10:47 AM

FWIW: See OA in left column, http://www.aumha.org/a/stop.htm.

IMO, these (and other) errors are often caused by key files suffering damage/corruption. When that happens, something won'f function as it should and the errors become noticed most often when memory is addressed/used for a function. This particular error is often caused by drivers of either software or hardware.

Hardware which is not functioning properly (for whatever reason) will also cause all sorts of STOP errors. Which is why it's always (IMO) smart to run a chkdsk /r when you start getting STOP errors of any type.

In short...the causes are many and varied, there is no known way to prevent file damage, since we often don't know what causes the damage.

The good news is that error messages and .dmp messages often provide clues as to what the real problem might be.

<>

What intel utility might that be?

It's impossible (IMO) to test all drivers, unless you do it one by one...and do both hardware and software...and then include the drivers which are Windows drivers. Any utility purporting to test all drivers...probably focuses on the hardware drivers alone.

If you want an idea of all the drivers on your system....Start/Run...type msinfo32. Click Software Environment, then take a look at System Drivers and Signed Drivers...and realize that two large groups are not included in those two categories: Unsigned drivers which have been installed and Software drivers (e.g., AV, firewall, graphics editor, etc.).

I suggest using the guidance posted at aumha.org or looking for a .dmp message on your system. If you have a .dmp file, you can then use the suggestions at Help Diagnosing BSODs And Crashes (BC) - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/176011/how-to-receive-help-diagnosing-blue-screens-and-windows-crashes/.

Louis

#10 bsgranpa

bsgranpa
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 181 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2009 - 11:55 PM

I ran the check disk and it found no problems, errors or bad things. I question that malware could be the problem because I have used my Toshiba restore disk to start fresh. I always thought that that approach would take the machine back to a clean starting point. I downloaded and installed WinDbg but have no idea how to use it. Please walk me through how that can help pinpoint the problem. Thanks again for your help.

Bill

#11 bsgranpa

bsgranpa
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 181 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2009 - 09:57 PM

OK, I think that I did this right.

Microsoft ® Windows Debugger Version 6.11.0001.404 X86
Copyright © Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

Loading Dump File [C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini111509-01.dmp]
Mini Kernel Dump File: Only registers and stack trace are available

Symbol search path is: SRV*c:\symbols*http://msdl.microsoft.com/download/symbols
Executable search path is:
Windows XP Kernel Version 2600 (Service Pack 2) UP Free x86 compatible
Product: WinNt, suite: TerminalServer SingleUserTS
Built by: 2600.xpsp_sp2_gdr.090804-1412
Machine Name:
Kernel base = 0x804d7000 PsLoadedModuleList = 0x8055a6a0
Debug session time: Sun Nov 15 11:36:15.012 2009 (GMT-8)
System Uptime: 0 days 0:15:26.613
Loading Kernel Symbols
Loading User Symbols
Loading unloaded module list
Unable to load image w22n51.sys, Win32 error 0n2
*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for w22n51.sys
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for w22n51.sys
* Bugcheck Analysis *

Use !analyze -v to get detailed debugging information.

BugCheck 1000000A, {ff1701f0, 2, 0, 804d9b64}

Probably caused by : w22n51.sys ( w22n51+69222 )

Followup: MachineOwner
---------

kd> !analyze -v
* Bugcheck Analysis *

IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL (a)
An attempt was made to access a pageable (or completely invalid) address at an
interrupt request level (IRQL) that is too high. This is usually
caused by drivers using improper addresses.
If a kernel debugger is available get the stack backtrace.
Arguments:
Arg1: ff1701f0, memory referenced
Arg2: 00000002, IRQL
Arg3: 00000000, bitfield :
bit 0 : value 0 = read operation, 1 = write operation
bit 3 : value 0 = not an execute operation, 1 = execute operation (only on chips which support this level of status)
Arg4: 804d9b64, address which referenced memory

Debugging Details:
------------------

READ_ADDRESS: ff1701f0

CURRENT_IRQL: 2

FAULTING_IP:
nt!memcpy+12c
804d9b64 8b448efc mov eax,dword ptr [esi+ecx*4-4]

CUSTOMER_CRASH_COUNT: 1

DEFAULT_BUCKET_ID: DRIVER_FAULT

BUGCHECK_STR: 0xA

PROCESS_NAME: Idle

LAST_CONTROL_TRANSFER: from ba3ce222 to 804d9b64

STACK_TEXT:
8054ea44 ba3ce222 8054eaa4 ff1701f0 00000004 nt!memcpy+0x12c
WARNING: Stack unwind information not available. Following frames may be wrong.
8054ea94 1edd100b 334c9000 ff1701f0 000000ec w22n51+0x69222
8054ea98 334c9000 ff1701f0 000000ec 8054ebb8 0x1edd100b
8054ea9c ff1701f0 000000ec 8054ebb8 899d5da4 0x334c9000
8054eaa0 00000000 8054ebb8 899d5da4 00000004 0xff1701f0

STACK_COMMAND: kb

FOLLOWUP_IP:
w22n51+69222
ba3ce222 ?? ???

SYMBOL_STACK_INDEX: 1

SYMBOL_NAME: w22n51+69222

FOLLOWUP_NAME: MachineOwner

MODULE_NAME: w22n51

IMAGE_NAME: w22n51.sys

DEBUG_FLR_IMAGE_TIMESTAMP: 3ff54d71

FAILURE_BUCKET_ID: 0xA_w22n51+69222

BUCKET_ID: 0xA_w22n51+69222

Followup: MachineOwner
---------

#12 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,295 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2009 - 10:19 PM

Looks like a wireless driver is the problem.

Take a look, http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss...ocid=MIGR-57964.

Louis

#13 bsgranpa

bsgranpa
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 181 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2009 - 11:48 PM

Looks like a wireless driver is the problem.

Take a look, http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss...ocid=MIGR-57964.

Louis

Louis, I'm on a Toshiba M35-S320. Is it the same wireless driver as the Lenovo (IBM)?

#14 bsgranpa

bsgranpa
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 181 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2009 - 11:55 PM

Louis, I have another related question. I have two houses. One in AZ and one in CA. At the CA house, I really went "cheap" ($15 at Fry's Electronics) with the wireless router. It drops service a lot and we have to right click on the wireless icon on the task bar and select "Repair". The only time I have gotten the blue screen is at the CA home. I came back here to AZ and have not had even one crash where I had six or eight over last weekend in CA. Is it possible that there is a conflict with the router which cascades to the BSOD? In other words, does it make sense to invest in a higher quality wireless router for the CA home?

I have another question. If I am to install the latest Intel Wireless Driver. Per the Lenovo instructions, I am supposed to uninstall the current version. If I read the specs correctly, it seems to relate specifically to a Lenovo machine. So, if I uninstall the current driver and install the latest version, shouldn't I create a restore point in case the new one doesn't work? Will a System Restore put the old driver back where it was? Will a Lenovo wireless driver work in a Toshiba? I'm sorry if I sound ignorant. It's just that I am an old geezer who is pretty new to this tech stuff. By the way, I sure appreciate your willingness to help.

Bill

Edited by bsgranpa, 19 November 2009 - 07:40 AM.

#15 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,295 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2009 - 07:59 AM

<<Louis, I'm on a Toshiba M35-S320. Is it the same wireless driver as the Lenovo (IBM)?>>

Your bug report indicates that this is the problem. Any driver on any system...is determined by the components inside, with none exclusive to any manufacturer of systems.

Take a look at some of the links at http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&sou...mp;oq=&aqi= and you will see what I mean.

<<Is it possible that there is a conflict with the router which cascades to the BSOD? In other words, is there any sense in investing in a higher quality wireless router for the CA home?>>

I suppose anything is possible in ComputerLand...but I try not to look for complex answers when simple ones will do. Your bug report indicates that this driver is your problem. Simply uninstalling it and reinstalling a fresh driver should verify/refute that premise, IMO.

<<So, if I uninstall the current driver and install the latest version, shouldn't I create a restore point in case the new one doesn't work? Will a System Restore put the old driver back where it was? I'm sorry if I sound ignorant. It's just that I am an old geezer who is pretty new to this tech stuff.>>

I don't use System Restore (I rely on backups which I make periodically)...so I can't answer that for you. Logically...since your current driver is creating problems, I don't see why having the capability to restore such...would be advantageous. That is, unless you think that the debug report is inaccurate. Uninstalling drivers and replacing them is a routine task with Windows.

My approach with computer situations...is to try what is suggested by those whom I consider more knowledgeable than I happen to be. If that proves not to be a solution for me...I know how to try again, research more...or, worst case, do a clean install of XP.

Uninstalling a driver is pretty much on the same par with uninstalling a program, deleting a file, etc., IMO. If you backup/set restore points before doing those types of things, then follow your normal procedures which are designed to give you peace of mind.

<<...I sure appreciate your willingness to help.>>

Sharing knowledge, trying to help others without hurting myself...those things are fundamental to my nature. Considering that I benefit every day of my life from knowledge/experiences which others have put forth in the public domain...it's no great act on my part to try to pass a tiny piece of that on :thumbsup:.

The forum is a good vehicle for that...for most, if not all, who post suggestions for those seemingly in need of such.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users