Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot Delete file: Cannot read from source file or Disk

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 mgman

mgman

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:16 AM

Posted 14 November 2009 - 11:20 PM

Hi.

Whenever I try to delete my temporary internet files in bulks or by selecting all then deleting, it gives that "cannot delete file bla bla bla" message. HOWEVER, I'm able to delete them if I delete them one by one (ANNOYING!). I could also delete all the files the other way: choosing "delete files", but that's irrelevant.

I use IE 8, Windows XP SP 3 Media Center Edition.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 askpcguy

askpcguy

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:16 AM

Posted 15 November 2009 - 02:51 AM

First off why are you attempting to delete temporary Internet files manually? Internet Explorer has built in tools to make this easy. Windows XP has disk cleanup which also makes removing Temporary files easy.

Should those two methods not suit you, I'd recommend this free utility http://www.ccleaner.com/

Simply pick what you want, and it will do the rest.

The reason you receive "Cannot delete file" is the index.dat file is always in "use" by Internet Explorer and can only be deleted on reboot.

#3 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:16 AM

Posted 15 November 2009 - 07:30 AM

You cannot delete those files manually because Windows always uses some features of IE, therefore some of the files in "temporary internet files" are always in use and locked. You should use IE's tool to delete browsing history. This tool determines which files are to be deleted and which are not.

To access this tool Open IE and go to Internet Options, in the Browsing History section click on Delete button

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users