Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What is the best browser to use?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Frankie Steiner

Frankie Steiner

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:18 PM

Posted 15 September 2004 - 03:24 PM

Hi everyone,

I'm just wondering about something, since Microsoft Internet Explorer has a lot of security leaks, it is really worth using as a browser? I've heard of some others like Netscape, would that be better to use than IE?

- Frankie

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Triglav

Triglav

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2004 - 03:39 PM

Well, there are a few good ones: Mozilla, Opera, Avant Browser...

I use Avant Browser myself..

#3 KoanYorel

KoanYorel

Bleepin' Conundrum

• Members
  • 19,461 posts
  •  
  • Location:65 miles due East of the "Logic Free Zone", in Md, USA
  • Local time:02:18 PM

Posted 15 September 2004 - 04:00 PM

Nearly every other browser available is a better choice than "IE" for security reasons first of all.

I'm using Mozilla's FireFox. It has a light foot print on one's operating system.
It's very quick especially when one adds the "Piping" modification.
(SEE thread in Bleeping Computer on how to do this.)

There are many ways to customize FireFox through available extensions also.

~Koan
The only easy day was yesterday.

...some do, some don't; some will, some won't (WR)

#4 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2004 - 05:27 PM

The newer Netscape is based on Mozilla, but with a lot of gunk added to it; go to the original source.
Mozilla (which has a browser and an email client) has a lot of features, while Firefox, the stand alone browser is very light and has a lot of add-ons that allow you to tailor it to your needs. Neither of these is absolutely free of security issues, but since they do not use activeX and are not part and parcel to your operating system, and are not as prevalent as IE, they are generally considered safer. Mozilla has a reputation for supplying patches to a security problem a whole lot faster than MS, which can take weeks or months until they get around to it. In many cases, either is a lot FASTER than IE, too.

Once you give either a chance, the only time you will use IE is for MS automatic updates.

Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#5 nanakat

nanakat

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2005 - 02:17 PM

I have Netscape & FF. I'm on dialup (not by choice lol) & recently switched from AOL to Netscape. The Netscape browser is ok but has too many extras that you don't really need. Firefox is by far much better & I just sped it up thanks to Raw & his thread on pipelining...

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...lite=pipelining

It's easy to do & is an amazing difference in the speed :thumbsup:

Kać
Posted Image

To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world.

#6 WhyBeNormal

WhyBeNormal

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2005 - 06:22 PM

I use Firefox and I really like it. Here's Wikipedia's List of Browers for you to check out. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_web_browsers

Edited by WhyBeNormal, 24 March 2005 - 06:22 PM.

Posted Image

#7 cybormoron

cybormoron

• Members
  • 125 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2005 - 03:04 AM

my signature says what i have to say.
I can no longer sit back and allow Microsoft infiltration, Microsoft indoctrination, Microsoft subversion, and the international Microsoft conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious open source GNU/Linux operating systems. General Jack D. Ripper.

#8 TexasAngel67

TexasAngel67

Bleeping Helper

• Members
  • 1,551 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2005 - 11:02 AM

I also use Mozilla's Firefox. It is faster and safer than IE. Netscape, in my opinion, is awful. It's slow and has more errors than any other browser. I didn't care for the Opera browser personally and I haven't tried Avant. I think Firefox is the overall favorite. You don't get any extra junk that you don't want and a popup blocker is built in. There are also a variety of extensions you can choose from. It's really great.
Good luck in your search. By the way - you can't (and don't want to) remove or delete Internet Explorer. Just set your new browser as the default so that when you connect online, it's the browser that opens - although you could use 2 at once, like I do. Oh and another thing, with Firefox, you will no longer need to have a bunch of windows open at once. Firefox allows for tabs. One window open with several browsing tabs at once. A nice feature if you ask me.

#9 JEservices

JEservices

helping hand

• Members
  • 1,700 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:18 PM

Posted 27 March 2005 - 11:08 AM

Firefox is my choice as well. I often only use IE when I need to have it open to solve a client's IE specific problem. 9 times out of 10, when my clients receive Firefox installed on the computer along with the fix, they prefer using it.
We are all curious like a cat. We wonder, we ask, we learn.
Please post back when a suggestion works, so that others may learn.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users