Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Drive letter changed

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 miniman1

miniman1

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:00 PM

Posted 14 November 2009 - 08:17 PM

Hello, I have recently carried out a complete reinstall of XP after detecting virus of every kind.

Everthing went ok, but my main drive's letter is now 'I' instead of 'C' , which is now assigned to another drive, if i click on C it states no disk inserted, please insert disk.

How can i re assign 'C' as my main drive, so that my pc recognises it, without difficulty ?

Thanks.
A Thing Of Beauty Is A Joy Forever.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:00 PM

Posted 14 November 2009 - 08:33 PM

The reason the drive letter changed is because you have multiple drives on you PC and left them connected during your fresh install. Multiple drives can be more then on internal hard drive, optical drives, media readers, external USB devices. These were still connected and powered on when you did your fresh install.

It can be fixed by carefully following these instructions.

#3 miniman1

miniman1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2009 - 08:56 PM

The reason the drive letter changed is because you have multiple drives on you PC and left them connected during your fresh install. Multiple drives can be more then on internal hard drive, optical drives, media readers, external USB devices. These were still connected and powered on when you did your fresh install.

It can be fixed by carefully following these instructions.

Thanks but im too much a novice to attempt the solution, as my CD/DVD drive was faulty on reinstall i used a external drive plugged into a usb port to run the xp disk, so thats why i ended up with 'I' ?

#4 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2009 - 09:01 PM

That is part of the reason. I`m guessing you also have what is called a media reader built into your machine as well. This is on the front of the machine and would appear as a group of 3 or 4 small slots.

Your next alternative is to re-install XP after disconnecting the faulty cd drive as well as the media reader.

#5 miniman1

miniman1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2009 - 09:12 PM

That is part of the reason. I`m guessing you also have what is called a media reader built into your machine as well. This is on the front of the machine and would appear as a group of 3 or 4 small slots.

Your next alternative is to re-install XP after disconnecting the faulty cd drive as well as the media reader.

Correct, seems to much effort, now that i have installed other programmes since the 'repair' may aswell stay with 'I' drive letter, thanks again.

#6 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2009 - 09:16 PM

I know many who have done the same thing, myself included :flowers: , when first learning PCs.

Not really a major issue.

Chalk it up as a lesson learned for the next time. :thumbsup:

#7 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,017 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:00 PM

Posted 14 November 2009 - 09:27 PM

I also went through the same thing having E as my C, I had an idea for a possible solution though I did not try it. Here is what I thought, shut down open it up and disconnect all but the HD. Boot into the BIOS menu and go through the drive recognition, then boot up. My thought was if there was no other drives it would have to revert to C, not sure if it would have worked but seemed possible.

Phil

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#8 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2009 - 09:54 PM

A nice thought Phil. But since it is Windows that assigns the drive letter and not the BIOS, it won`t work.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users