Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Spilled on my laptop - think i shorted something out

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 confused??

confused??

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:52 AM

Posted 14 November 2009 - 05:13 PM

Sooo, I spilled vinegar on my HP dv9000 laptop :thumbsup:
I didn't realize anything happened until I returned 5 minutes after and found that my computer had turned off
So in my shock, I tried turning it on and all the lights went on and then it turned off and steam/smoke?? came out the sv card hole on the side. Stupidly, I tried turning it on about 2-3 more times and the same thing happened.
Anyways, everything inside appears fine (the spill was mainly under the laptop, not through the keys as most seem to be) except right under the Wireless card there is a little black section that looks like it's burnt - so my question is:

Do you think this is a result of the spill and me turning it on? Is it going to affect my computer - It's only been a few hours, so I don't think it's dry yet, and I'm not turning it on till it is. If it does affect my computer, is it cheap to replace or better to get a new laptop?

PS I have perused other "spill" posts and have carefully removed the hard drive and openings on the back and am currently drying it with a fan on low

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:52 AM

Posted 14 November 2009 - 05:25 PM

Good luck
Vinegar is acetic acid
It can do more damage then just plain water
I would totally dismantle it and wipe it down, maybe even and a little baking soda to water and dampen a rag
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 confused??

confused??
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:52 AM

Posted 15 November 2009 - 09:50 PM

Thanks for the help, sadly when I gave it to the repair guy, he turned it on and it caught on fire!!
Luckily, I was able to save the hard drive and put it in an external case (yay!)
And the silly thing went out with a bang, so I guess that's better than it just not turning on :thumbsup:

So note to all you who spill on your computers - UNPLUG IT FAST AND LET IT DRY!!!!!! or save the hard drive and run

#4 techextreme

techextreme

Bleepin Tech

• BC Advisor
  • 2,125 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:52 AM

Posted 15 November 2009 - 09:59 PM

The only way that I've even come close to saving a "drowned" laptop was to dismantle it, run it through an electronics cleaning machine that uses only de-ionized water and then put in the drying chamber for 8 to 12 hours at 115 degrees.

Sadly, this doesn't always work as non-deionized water conducts electricity and will almost always short circuits on the motherboard.

The best fix is not to do it in the first place but accidents do happen :thumbsup:

Techextreme

"Admire those who attempt great things, even though they fail."

-- Seneca

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users