Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP Pro won't boot after deleting D: partition.

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Stan Shmenge

Stan Shmenge

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:25 AM

Posted 14 November 2009 - 04:53 PM

I finally seemed to have cleared my computer of various viruses, and upon inspecting my D: drive, I noticed a bunch of directories that I certainly did not create, with long directory names of random looking letters and numbers. I could not delete them by any means. Ok, so I transferred all my data back to C: drive, and tried to format D:. No dice. So, I figured I would just nuke the partition, and start over. No dice. Not allowed under Windoze. So, OK, I booted a linux CD with Dparted and nuked it from there. No problem. Until I tried to reboot. After the message:

Verifying DMI Pool Data........

It just sits there. Back in Dparted, I can still see the C: partition, with data in it even. At this point I use Dparted to copy the partition onto an external drive, just to cover my ass.

So I boot into XP install disk, and run fixmbr. No dice. Partition is still visible with data in Dparted, but won't boot.

bootcfg /rebuild gives me:

Error: Failed to add the selected boot entry to the boot list.

I even stuck the drive in another XP machine to take a look, and the partition is showing as Active in disk manager.

I am at the end of my rope. It takes me a week to get my system back to where it needs to be to do productive work, so I really don't want to start over. The whole partition is backed up to an external drive, so I won't be losing any data if I try something iffy.

Any suggestions? Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 powerjuce

powerjuce

• Members
  • 321 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:25 AM

Posted 14 November 2009 - 04:58 PM

hey Stan Shmenge

I suggest you do a Repair Install.
That will make sure that you have your MBR fixed.

Post if you have questions

~powerjuce

#3 Stan Shmenge

Stan Shmenge
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2009 - 05:04 PM

hey Stan Shmenge

I suggest you do a Repair Install.
That will make sure that you have your MBR fixed.

Post if you have questions

~powerjuce

Repair install is not coming up as an option when I use the XP Pro CD. Sorry, forgot to mention that!

#4 powerjuce

powerjuce

• Members
  • 321 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2009 - 05:50 PM

Huh...that is frustrating...
Ok lets try a slightly different utility to make this work.
1. Download MbrFix.
Here is the direct download.
2. Then create a Bootable MS-DOS disk (for Windows XP!!).
3. After creating the disk, put this utility on the disk itself.
4. Boot off the disk.
5. Once you are booted into the DOS OS, type in "DIR" (without the quotes) then press ENTER.
6. If you see the MbrFix.exe listed there we are good.
7. Type in "mbrfix /drive 0 listpartitions" (without the quotes) then press ENTER.
8. If you see the partitions listed then we are good, if you do not simply repeat the last step by incrementing the number until you see the partitions listed.
9. Type in "mbrfix /drive 0 fixmbr" (without the quotes) then press ENTER.
10. See if that work. Also if the drive was not 0 use the number that you found by completing step 8.

I hope that works.
post with any questions
~powerjuce

#5 Stan Shmenge

Stan Shmenge
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2009 - 08:01 PM

I will try that, but I have to scrounge up a floppy drive first and hook it up. I was looking for C:\boot.ini, and there doesn't seem to be one. Does not exist when I do a dir in the C:\ directory from recovery console. This might be part of the problem.

#6 powerjuce

powerjuce

• Members
  • 321 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2009 - 08:08 PM

Yea that could be the problem.
For your XP Pro this would be (theoretically) the boot.ini.

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect

if you make that file, then using Dparted adding it onto the C:\ drive it may work.

its worth a try

~powerjuce

#7 Stan Shmenge

Stan Shmenge
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2009 - 09:07 PM

Yea that could be the problem.
For your XP Pro this would be (theoretically) the boot.ini.

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect

if you make that file, then using Dparted adding it onto the C:\ drive it may work.

its worth a try

~powerjuce

Just seems strange that bootcfg /rebuild wouldn't create the file. Trying now.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users