Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My computer keeps freezing on me

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 twins1729

twins1729

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:25 AM

Posted 14 November 2009 - 04:16 PM

It started the other day, out of nowhere.

First it would freeze sooner the more you were on. My sister and I have to keep restarting it, and when you signed back in, the sooner it would freeze.

When we left it alone for a bit, it would stay on longer.

We proceded to remove/transfer about 15 GBs of memory (About 41% free space). It seems to have helped. I can pretty much stay on for as long as possible now.

It bascially freezes when I do too much. Like, have too many IE's open. It also won't let me run a full scan of any of my virus programs. But the quick scans are coming out fine. I just re-installed McAfee again (my father renewed it) and that download took a good half hour and it was fine.

BTW- I have a Toshiba Satellite A 105 Laptop. :thumbsup:

Thanks for any help. :flowers:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,252 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2009 - 04:29 PM

Sounds to me as if you don't have a sufficient amount of RAM installed.

How much RAM is installed?

How large is hard drive? How large is C: partition? How much free space on C:?

Check your virtual memory settings and ensure that it is set for XP to manage such. If a static amount exists, change it. There should be only one virtual memory setting for the pagefile and the pagefile should be on the C: partition.

Freezing is often a manifestation of poor venting/air circulation/system overheating.

Cleaning the Interior of your PC - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/cleaning-the-inside-of-your-pc/

Louis

#3 twins1729

twins1729
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2009 - 04:31 PM

I assume it's the venting and whatever. It seems to be getting hotter. (But, you know, sometimes those things are just in my head. LOL)

When it comes to memory, all I know is that my computer has about 112 GB's of space and, as I said, I have 41% free space.

ETA: Those tips work for a laptop, too, correct?

Edited by twins1729, 14 November 2009 - 04:36 PM.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,252 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2009 - 04:38 PM

You can find out all sorts of info about your computer...by Start/Run...type msinfo32 and hit Enter.

The last line visible in the screen without scrolling...will reflect total RAM installed.

Start/My Computer...then change the View to Details...will reflect partition/hard drive space and free space.

Louis

#5 twins1729

twins1729
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2009 - 08:37 PM

Just want to reply that I used my dad's air pressure-thingy. (Yeah, I'm not going to check and see what it's called. :thumbsup: )

I blew it into the vents and my computer's just fine now. :flowers: Didn't have to take it apart.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,252 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2009 - 10:06 PM

LOL...whatever works. Appreciate the feedback, happy computing :thumbsup:.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users