Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problems with Standby on Windows XP

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 salvation79

salvation79

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:22 AM

Posted 14 November 2009 - 09:52 AM

I have a Dell Dimension 4600 with Windows XP and use Firefox and Outlook Express.

I was having some spyware problems and recently decided to wipe my hard drive and reformat my computer. It was time anyway, since I've had this computer for six years. Things are running smoothly, however I have one problem that maybe someone can help with. I usually put my computer in standby mode at night so I don't have to reboot and restart programs every single day. Since I reformatted, I noticed that my Outlook Express, which I use for email and leave open all the time, wouldn't connect to the internet after waking the computer up in the morning (all other internet connectivity was normal). I figured out that if close OE before putting the computer into standby and reopen it when I wake the computer, I don't have a problem. However, Firefox has crashed several times after waking the computer too, and I've also gotten an error message regarding win32.exe as well as Windows Explorer (after which I can't even open any folders unless I restart my computer). More importantly, I've gotten the dreaded blue screen a few times as well and have had to reboot. It says:

A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage, etc....STOP: 0x0000008E...win32k.sys...beginning dump of physical memory.

Obviously, I can probably avoid all of this by just rebooting my computer every day and not using standby, but that's really inconvenient, especially since I'm usually in the middle of projects, etc. and this never happened before reformatting. I ran a device manager check and I didn't see any exclamation points or question marks on the list, but I did notice that my Dell Solution Manager is a broken link in my start up menu but don't know if that's related. Hope you can help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:22 AM

Posted 14 November 2009 - 12:23 PM

First thing to try is to reinstall the video driver
Damaged or corrupt video drivers can cause problems with standby/hibernate

http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/...tid=&impid=

Edited by garmanma, 14 November 2009 - 12:25 PM.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 salvation79

salvation79
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2009 - 01:00 PM

Thanks, I found one driver that matched my Intel chipset but when I tried to install it it said my computer doesn't mean the minimum requirement.

#4 salvation79

salvation79
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2010 - 04:23 PM

Scratch that. I'm going to start a new thread under Windows XP.

Edited by salvation79, 03 February 2010 - 05:52 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users