Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Intrusive Windows Update

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 dannysexyboy

dannysexyboy

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:34 PM

Posted 14 November 2009 - 09:11 AM

Hi

I am a Windows Vista user, but don't use any Office application. By Windows Update, I have recently been offered three important Office updates. As I don't use Office, those important updates can't be installed on my computer. Whenever I tried to install them in the recent past, the installation always failed (apparently because I didn't pay for Office at the end of trial period, and Office has been locked on my computer ever since). But even though the installation of the three important Office updates is apparently impossible and always collapses, Windows Update won't stop from persistent and intrusive offering those three important updates. For a few days already, I have been offered nothing else by Windows Update. Does it mean, that Windows Update will offer me nothing else, not even any non-Office updates, until those three important Office updates are installed? Shall I take some action already (somehow to stop Widows Update from offering me those actually irrelevant, but nominally important, updates any further), or shall I only carry on ignoring the offer of those "important" updates?

Thanks very much in advance for any useful tips.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 doinmeedin

doinmeedin

• Members
  • 455 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2009 - 10:55 AM

Basically i would ignore them and uninstall MS Office if you don't use it, this may also prevent the updates from being offered in the future !

If life is not an option then why are we not given the option in the first place !

#3 dannysexyboy

dannysexyboy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2009 - 12:14 PM

Basically i would ignore them and uninstall MS Office if you don't use it, this may also prevent the updates from being offered in the future !

Thanks, doinmeedin. Anyway, if I uninstall Office, will I be able to view .pps picture enclosures that I sometimes receive from my friends via email? Before the first picture appears, I am always automatically asked, whether I want to buy Word. Would such .pps files be accesible to me even without the locked (yet still installed) Word?

Also, I have still some Word files on my computer in the read-only mode. I failed to copy and paste them somewhere else before the end of the Office trial period. Now I can still open such files, but I can't export their contents into different applications (e.g. Works). Wouldn't I lose such documents completely, if I uninstalled Office?

Thanks in advance for any tips.

#4 dannysexyboy

dannysexyboy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2009 - 01:09 PM

Anyway, I think I have found a solution of my problem. In the Windows Update list of updates available, you can use right-click separately for each update item offered and choose "hide update" option in the menu called up. That way you will get rid of any intrusive reiterations of unwanted offers for the same updates :huh:

#5 doinmeedin

doinmeedin

• Members
  • 455 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2009 - 05:34 PM

No worries glad to to of been of service, and i'm glad you have got sorted and i should have thought of just hidding the updates myself, but anyway glad you sorted ! :huh:

If life is not an option then why are we not given the option in the first place !

#6 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:34 PM

Posted 14 November 2009 - 06:36 PM

will I be able to view .pps picture enclosures that I sometimes receive from my friends via email?

See if this solves things for you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users