Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

capture live stream

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
9 replies to this topic

#1 thrillhouse

thrillhouse

• Members
  • 1,040 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:20 AM

Posted 14 November 2009 - 08:21 AM

I would like to capture a stream that is live and record it so I can watch it later. I have vlc. The site I am trying to record from is justin.tv but I can't get vlc to record or even play the stream. It plays fine in firefox but I am trying to record so I don't have to be awake at 4am to watch what I am trying to watch. Any ideas appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 techextreme

techextreme

Bleepin Tech

• Members
  • 2,125 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2009 - 08:42 AM

You could try using Debut Video Capture. It works great with webcams and will record in multiple different formats.

I found that the combination of mp4 video and aac audio give the best quality with the smallest file size when recording with Debut.

Hope this helps,
Techextreme

"Admire those who attempt great things, even though they fail."

-- Seneca

#3 thrillhouse

thrillhouse
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,040 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2009 - 10:12 AM

Thanks but that is not going to work. I am trying to capture an auido and video from a stream online. This would just capture the video and I can't use my screen while it's recording the stream.

To be more clear, I need something to discover the rtmp stream from justin.tv and put it into vlc so I can play it and record it. So not screen capture but stream capture.

#4 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:20 AM

Posted 14 November 2009 - 11:58 AM

Could it be DRM protected?

#5 thrillhouse

thrillhouse
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,040 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2009 - 05:55 PM

No its not drm its just the site's policy. I combed the internet trying to find a solution and someone trying to do the same thing was told by a rep at jtv (Kevin@justin.tv) that it is not allowed. It is such a shame because they have pre season college basketball which I want to watch but the games aren't on until it is 3 or 4am here so I would like to record them and watch them later. I know I am not missing anything in preseason but I want to see it anyway. They really should offer the ability to view streams in a player because it uses a lot of cpu to play in firefox. Thank you for trying.

#6 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2009 - 08:12 PM

Then it is DRM protected. That's what they mean by site policy. You can't record it.

#7 JohnWho

JohnWho

Who was running the store?

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2009 - 08:38 PM

Maybe this program which will be free for another 6 hours will do it:

Give away of the day - "Save Tube Video"

Dunno.

I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!

#8 thrillhouse

thrillhouse
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,040 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2009 - 02:50 AM

It is not DRM because they do not host anything, they just point to the streams which are somewhere else (coming from individuals who share them). They have the site policy so you are forced to view their advertisements on the player page.

I missed my window on that software, I even got another one called Replay Media Catcher that says on the website that it works for justin.tv and it didn't work. I tried URLSnooper2 which I guess is a packet sniffer and it just saw the swf player not the rtmp stream which is what I need.

#9 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2009 - 06:40 AM

There isn't anything that will record protected streams.

#10 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:20 AM

Posted 15 November 2009 - 09:04 AM

..... its just the site's policy.
.....someone trying to do the same thing was told by a rep at jtv (Kevin@justin.tv) that it is not allowed.

As per the Board Rules:

No subject matter will be allowed whose purpose is to defeat existing copyright or security measures. If a user persists and/or the activity is obviously illegal the staff reserves the right to remove such content and/or ban the user.

This topic is closed.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users