Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

System Restore not Working

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 meandmypc

meandmypc

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:39 AM

Posted 14 November 2009 - 07:02 AM

Hi, All

I have just (Flawlessly) Upgraded my Desktop PC from Vista, to W7, Immediately after installation completed I Checked for and Installed the Latest Updates,
I then Installed NIS 2010, once again without a hitch, Installed Latest Updates. etc. apps. Drivers, etc. etc.

Everything went very smoothly, no problems with Upgrade Hanging at 62% or any of the other hitches that have been reported, and I was expecting.
However I am left with one Major Problem, = I decided to test System Restore. I manually set a Restore Point (before placing a File/Folder 0n desktop) and then did a System Restore to this aforementioned restore point, the resulting Dialogue Box was =

"System Restore did not complete successfully, Your computer's files and settings were not changed.
Details;
System Restore could not access a file. This is probably because an anti-virus program is running on the computer . Temporally disable your antivirus program and retry System Restore.
An unspecified error occurred during System Restore,
(0x80070005)"

I have Tried Turning Off all the the apps that are turned On, in NIS 2010 including " Product Tamper Protection"
I have done 5 tests to date, varying from all Protection off, to selected portions turned Off, Inc " Product Tamper Protection" only Off.
All have Failed to Restore, and produce the above "Dialogue Box"

Any suggestions Gratefully Received, Thanks, Dave.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 oneup

oneup

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:39 PM

Posted 15 November 2009 - 03:38 PM

what AV are you running? did you have that AV installed before? Maybe you should try uninstalling it, and then reinstalling it. An OS upgrade is a big upgrade.
Posted Image

#3 meandmypc

meandmypc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2009 - 05:21 AM

what AV are you running? did you have that AV installed before? Maybe you should try uninstalling it, and then reinstalling it. An OS upgrade is a big upgrade.

1. what AV are you running? = "Norton Internet Security 2010" (100% Compatible with W7 64bit " Microsoft")

2. did you have that AV installed before? =No, Prior to Upgrade I had Nort. 360 (2) installed. this was Completely Uninstalled prior to Upgrade (Inc. Reg. entry's) = used Symantec Removal Tool, plus deleted left over Folders etc.

3. Maybe you should try uninstalling it. = I have tried this, = with NIS Uninstalled, SR. works Normally,
The "Symantec Fix" = is to Turn Off "Product Tamper Protection" = I have Tried Turning Off " Product Tamper Protection" =

I have done 5 tests to date, varying from all Protection off, to " Product Tamper Protection" only Turned Off.
All have Failed to Restore, and produce the aforementioned "Failed to Restore Dialogue Box" Except for the Latter, when I turn off " Product Tamper Protection" upon attempted restoration with System Restore I get a dialogue box that states the restoration Was Successful. but this is Wrong as the restore has not taken place.
Also after this restoration I get another Norton Dialogue Box "error 3047,53" and NIS is turned Off and Inoperable, until I perform a Norton Live Update and complete a 50MB Download, then NIS 2010 is back to normal, with same affect on SR

#4 Moby Purple

Moby Purple

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:39 PM

Posted 16 November 2009 - 08:02 PM

Have you tried doing a System Restore in Safe Mode?

#5 meandmypc

meandmypc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2009 - 02:10 PM

Have you tried doing a System Restore in Safe Mode?

I have tried a restoration with "System Restore" in "Safe Mode" which produces the same result as Turning Off the Norton " Product Tamper Protection" in Normal Windows mode, That is, = A Dialogue box states, Restoration is Complete, but on Re,Start out of Safe Mode, NIS 2010 is out of commission until I perform a Lengthy 52MB Download, and after the Install it resets itself.

#6 Michael York

Michael York

Authorized Symantec Representative

• Members
  • 118 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:39 PM

Posted 23 November 2009 - 06:33 PM

Hi, All

I have just (Flawlessly) Upgraded my Desktop PC from Vista, to W7, Immediately after installation completed I Checked for and Installed the Latest Updates,
I then Installed NIS 2010, once again without a hitch, Installed Latest Updates. etc. apps. Drivers, etc. etc.

Everything went very smoothly, no problems with Upgrade Hanging at 62% or any of the other hitches that have been reported, and I was expecting.
However I am left with one Major Problem, = I decided to test System Restore. I manually set a Restore Point (before placing a File/Folder 0n desktop) and then did a System Restore to this aforementioned restore point, the resulting Dialogue Box was =

"System Restore did not complete successfully, Your computer's files and settings were not changed.
Details;
System Restore could not access a file. This is probably because an anti-virus program is running on the computer . Temporally disable your antivirus program and retry System Restore.
(0x80070005)"

I have Tried Turning Off all the the apps that are turned On, in NIS 2010 including " Product Tamper Protection"
I have done 5 tests to date, varying from all Protection off, to selected portions turned Off, Inc " Product Tamper Protection" only Off.

Hi Dave,

This is Mike from the Norton Authorized Support Team.

Norton products contain a security feature called "Norton Product Tamper Protection" which was put into place to stop infections from disabling Norton products. This particular setting needs to be temporarily disabled in order for you to carry out a System Restore. Please carefully follow the instructions in the document below to complete the system restore.

Succesfully perform a System Restore with Norton Internet Security 2010 installed

Thank you,
Mike

Edited by Michael York, 23 November 2009 - 06:36 PM.

Michael York
Norton Authorized Support Team
Symantec Corporation
http://service.symantec.com/priority

#7 meandmypc

meandmypc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2009 - 04:35 AM

Hi, All

Details;
(0x80070005)"

Hi Dave,

This is Mike from the Norton Authorized Support Team.

Norton products contain a security feature called "Norton Product Tamper Protection" which was put into place to stop infections from disabling Norton products. This particular setting needs to be temporarily disabled in order for you to carry out a System Restore. Please carefully follow the instructions in the document below to complete the system restore.

Succesfully perform a System Restore with Norton Internet Security 2010 installed

Thank you,
Mike

Thanks Mike, for your help = , when I turn off " Product Tamper Protection" upon restoration with System Restore I get a dialogue box that states the restoration Was Successful.
But after this restoration I get another condition = Norton Dialogue Box "error 3047,53 my Anti Virus Protection is out of Date" "Click here to fix" (this does not work) and NIS is turned Off (all systems Red) Turning On PTP does not rectify the situation. = I then perform a Norton "Live Update" and complete a 50+MB Download, then NIS 2010 is back to normal.

Is this Normal? and something we have to live with, when the odd occasion should arise to use "System Restore" with NIS 20010.
As I have not experienced this result after Turning "Product Protection" back on, with Nis 2006 to 2009 or my last product Nort 360 2.

Thanks Again, Dave.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users