Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Can't find video card drivers for Win98 SE... Help!

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_CBN2xx_*

Guest_CBN2xx_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 06 August 2005 - 04:05 PM

Please, I'm doing this as a favor to my friend. Here's the story;

She's got a really old PC, um... Don't know the CPU exactly, I guess some Intel Celeron, about 200MHz, 32MB RAM if I'm not mistaken, and some MSI board (I can check with Everest Home Edition exactly if you want). I installed Win98 Second Edition on this machine... Now there's two devices which are not installed; Some "serial port" as it says under Device Manager, and the video card. Everest Home Edition can't identify AT ALL the graphics card (tried Windows Video, and PCI / PnP, nothing at all). Before I formatted the PC, if I remember correctly, the video card WAS installed, and if I remember correctly, it was some 3Dfx Voodoo 3000 card. Tried to get ANYTHING, ANY driver off VoodooFiles.com, and the only ones I could find (they WERE drivers) didn't work... They did get installed with no problems at all, but after I rebooted the PC, it was still the old 16-colors card, or whatever. What should I do if even Everest Home Edition can't detect the card? Let's assume it IS 3DFX Voodoo 3000, can anyone give me a working link to some workign driver?

Please, all the time I have is today and tomorrow... If you know anything, know where I can get any help (someone, somewhere... IRC channels, forums, communities, etc.), or something, please reply. Thanks you life savers. Good day!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2005 - 04:48 PM

When I have a problem like that, I open up the machine, take the card out, and look for names and numbers on the card. Quite often, you won't find anything that is obvious, but there's usually some kind of model number that you can Google to find out more about.

Remember to follow precautions to prevent static electricity damage to components - unplug the power supply, turn off the monitor, touch a ground before you touch components.

There's a "3D Blaster Voodoo 2" and others at DriverGuide.com. You need to register, but it's free. You get a password to get back in.

#3 Joshuacat

Joshuacat

01001010 01000011

• Members
  • 1,950 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:32 PM

Posted 06 August 2005 - 04:51 PM

Try Everest and get back to us. If you give us the make and model of the card, we should be able to link you to the driver. I don't want to assume it is something if Everest can tell us exactly what it is.

I use to use www.driversguide.com to get drivers.

Anyways, post back again with what Everest can tell you about your card.

Edit: It looks like Herk already posted about driversguide too.

Edited by Joshuacat, 06 August 2005 - 04:53 PM.

JC

#4 Guest_CBN2xx_*

Guest_CBN2xx_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 06 August 2005 - 06:16 PM

Herk - Yeah, thought about that... Well, guess I'll give it a go. Thanks. Oh, also, can I ask you a pretty presonal favor? If you have an account there, please download some driver for me, or give me the log in/password... Please, it was so pain to register there last time, and it seems like I'm logged out, and I can't remember my log in details. Please!

Joshuacat - Read my post again (no offence or anything)... You missed the part with Everest Home Edition. ^-^

Edited by CBN2xx, 06 August 2005 - 06:17 PM.

#5 Joshuacat

Joshuacat

01001010 01000011

• Members
  • 1,950 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:32 PM

Posted 06 August 2005 - 06:54 PM

:thumbsup: I have to stop speed reading...
JC

#6 CBN

CBN

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2005 - 02:13 PM

OK, it's me (CBN2xx)...

Well, I did take the video card out of its slot, and turns out it was some really old model of 3Dfx voodoo, Voodoo Rush, or something... Anyway, I could find one matching driver on DriverGuide.com. Turns out the registration process has become easier, or it's easier if you just don't choose "USA" as your country, hehe...

Well, thanks everybody... ^-^

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users