Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

ugh, something is wrong with my laptop's hhd

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 durps

durps

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:51 PM

Posted 14 November 2009 - 02:43 AM

Well hello guys, I think my laptop is screwed.
well when i boot up my laptop, this comes up, Posted Image
my friend took a look at it and said that is has to deal with my hhd. its either done or the cable connecting it to my motherboard is damaged. i just want to make sure that the problem lies in the hdd. i don't mind buying a new harddrive, i could care less, i just don't want to buy a new laptop. i tried booting up from a recovery disc, didn't work. any more suggestions?
my first post guys, congrats to me heh.

Edited by durps, 14 November 2009 - 02:44 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,286 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2009 - 10:13 AM

Well...that message doesn't necessarily mean that there's anything wrong with your hard drive :thumbsup:.

What it does indicate is that your system boot option have changed...from (hopefully) booting from the hard drive...to booting from a network.

http://searchwinit.techtarget.com/sDefinit...i820091,00.html

Hence the "operating system not found" message.

I've seen this (and other oddities) happen on my system...when I had a failing CMOS battery.

I suggest entering the BIOS/Setup and verifying what your current boot options are. If network is the default, see if you can manually change it back to your hard drive. If network is not the default, I could be all wrong...but I would replace the CMOS battery anyway.

<<i tried booting up from a recovery disc, didn't work. any more suggestions?>>

I'm curious as to what specifically happened...error messages, inability to boot, etc.

Louis

CMOS Battery Replacement - http://www.liverepair.com/encyclopedia/art...cmosreplace.asp. There is no need to save/write down settings, these are dated instructions.

Edited by hamluis, 14 November 2009 - 10:16 AM.

#3 durps

durps
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2009 - 02:28 PM

Hey Hamluis, thanks for the input.
Well, I checked my bios settings and they are as follows, main harddrive, dvd/cd rom drive, removable device, boot to lan. still no boot up what-so-ever.
About the CMOS battery, I wouldn't mind replacing mine, i just don't know how to open my laptop to get to the mobo. I've searched the web and didn't come across anything.

When I booted from disc it just went to a blank black screen and never changed, i even left it there for an hour.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,286 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2009 - 04:11 PM

System manufacturer and model?

Louis

#5 durps

durps
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2009 - 03:16 AM

It is a Gateway MX6124
I barely even used the thing and it messed up.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,286 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2009 - 10:07 AM

Well...I didn't find anything enlightening at the Gateway website regarding replacement of the CMOS battery...they either don't think it merits listing or they don't want users to know that it exists.

Louis

#7 durps

durps
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2009 - 09:27 PM

Ahhh, great. So now I'm stuck here with a laptop that doesn't work.
I was thinking about taking it to the GeekSquad but nah. Is there anyone on these forums that I could possibly send it to, that might be able to fix it for a price? Maybe even you Louis?

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,286 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2009 - 10:08 AM

I'm not a technician or computer professional of any sort :thumbsup:, just a home user with a few years of playing with my own systems and reading/learning more than I first knew. There's not much I could do with a laptop :flowers:.

Let's see what options you have for repair/reinstall.

Do you have recovery/restore disks for that system? Do you have a bootable CD of any sort?

If so, you could try changing the boot options in the BIOS...so that it boots from the optical drive...and see what can be done.

http://support.gateway.com/s/SOFTWARE/Medi...XPMC0su21.shtml

Some systems have CMOS batteries welded in, which may be the case here.

Louis

#9 Ken-in-West-Seattle

Ken-in-West-Seattle

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:51 PM

Posted 16 November 2009 - 09:21 PM

Hold on there fellas...

There is still more to go before you go to the geeksquad. I fix stuff all the time after they have extracted yer wallet.

Yes the pxe message is attempting to boot from the network.

The last line indicates you have no boot files on your hard drive, thus no operating system you can boot to. Or your drive is not being properly recognized by the bios.

There is a non zero but small chance it could be related to cmos battery but it is waaay down the troubleshooting chain.

FYI: Gateway used to put it's cmos battery (and in really old models a backup battery) on the mainboard attached with a two pin plug. They were usually multiple coin batteries held together with yellow shrink tubing.

Most current models (0 to 7 years) use a simple coin battery. ml1220 looks like yours. it is not replaceable through a hatch. It needs a pretty good disassemble to get to it. A few are actually soldered to the board with a clip but I have not seen one in years.

Search for boot cd via google. learn to burn from ISO on another computer. Attempt to boot this unit from a boot cd.
If you can get into the bios setup screen, it is not your laptop screen that has a problem.
http://freepctech.com/pc/002/files010.shtml

What city or state are you in? I fix laptops in Seattle.

Repair install via gateway system recovery cd. read this.
http://support.gateway.com/s/Manuals/Desktops/9532287.pdf

The actual users manual for your system is not linked online. It is supposed to be in the MX series page but it looks like the 6000 series links were nuked at some point over the years.
http://support.gateway.com/support/manlib/.../notebook.shtml

#10 durps

durps
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2009 - 11:27 PM

Oh! Well my laptop has made some progress! Now when I put in my gateway recovery cd, it says this,
"Gateway System Recovery
No hard disk found.
Gateway recovery cannot be continued!

Press any key to continue."

Great! I don't know if I should jump the gun just yet, but I am assuming that all I need is a new hdd? I just don't want to buy one and then find out that it is a problem dealing with harddrive cables connecting to the mobo. Should I just go for it?
Thanks guys, you have been a terrific help!

#11 Ken-in-West-Seattle

Ken-in-West-Seattle

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:51 PM

Posted 17 November 2009 - 01:00 PM

This is the guide to replacing the hard drive in your model mx6124
http://support.gateway.com/s/Mobile/Q106/Blade/8511418.pdf

The directions refer you to the missing users manual, but as long as a replacement drive is recognized by the bios, your recovery cd should use it.

But that brings up a double check moment.

I don't have a gateway bios handy to check with but there are usually a couple of places where the hard drive is detected and its model and or serial number displayed in the setup screens.

I see above that you checked the boot order, but that sometimes can be misleading since it does not name the actual device by model number, only referrers to it by generic term.

Look for ide or ata settings or something similar. Older models had a auto detect you had to trigger but I think this one should have list that looks like :
Primary master
primary slave
secondary master
secondary slave
And should identify your cdrom/dvd by name as one of the lower three. Some laptops only have primary master and slave.

If the bios can see and id the drive, then look closely at the detected geometry. Load setup defaults and try the recovery cd again.

Check with your friends. Lots of people have old laptop hard drives you could use for testing. I have a stack of 3 to 8 gb I keep for the purpose.

You local computer store might also have an adapter like the one in this pic:
http://www.laptoprepair101.com/laptop/2006...sktop-computer/

Should be less than 10.00.

Which would let you put the drive on the secondary master of a desktop and see if it can be seen by the os.
This would let you run scandisk, check for virus/malware and back up any files you might want.

However, if the drive can be seen in a desktop, and a replacement or test drive cannot, you might be looking at a mainboard replacement and unless you really want to learn all about the innards of a laptop and comeup with some cash to boot, it may not be worthwhile.

Gateway points you to the missing manual to see what size drive you can use with the bios. It comes with a 60 so it should take that for sure. It should also take an 80 or a 120 since those were available as options.

Good luck

#12 DaffyKantReed

DaffyKantReed

• Members
  • 190 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:51 AM

Posted 17 November 2009 - 01:29 PM

If you determine the problem is the HDD, here's how to replace it.
http://support.gateway.com/s/Mobile/Q106/Blade/8511418.pdf

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users