Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

IE7

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 flyeguy

flyeguy

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:29 PM

Posted 14 November 2009 - 12:02 AM

cannot get 1E7 to open @ all.
click on the icon,it just 'flashes' for a moment,then nothing.
i recently downloaded several windows updates,& since then,my comp has started to act up.firstly my taskbar & start menu disappeared. i managed to get those back.
now i can't drag my desktop icons,
my firewall,Comodo,wont initialize.
Malwarebytes wont open.
cant access System Restore @ all
& no audio device.
& my printer isnt recognized! i get error messages on all the above when i try to open them.
i can get online using Firefox,& Kmeleon.can also access Outlook Express with no problem.its just IE7 thats giving me probs.
any ideas whats happened?is something corrupted?
should i reinstall IE7,or install IE8?
help!!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 doinmeedin

doinmeedin

• Members
  • 455 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:29 PM

Posted 14 November 2009 - 07:14 AM

Hi there is the same happening in safe mode or haven't you tried !

If life is not an option then why are we not given the option in the first place !

#3 flyeguy

flyeguy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2009 - 09:46 AM

thanx for your reply.haven't tried that yet.
if i can,then what?

#4 doinmeedin

doinmeedin

• Members
  • 455 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2009 - 10:49 AM

If Mbam is fully updated and you can open it in safe mode theres nothing wrong with running it in safe mode and see what it comes up with, also forgot tyo ask whats your OS !

If life is not an option then why are we not given the option in the first place !

#5 flyeguy

flyeguy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2009 - 05:06 PM

XP.Service Pack 4
just to clarify a few things i dont understand.
i can get online with Firefox,Kmeleon.
i can access Outlook Express.
iCANNOT=drag my desktop icons.this is whats bothering me.why can't i drag them?i had them grouped in a bunch in the top left corner,but now every time i boot up,they line up in a straight line down the left hand side & they wont move!
i can download & run Comodo,but it wont initialize.
same with Superantispyware.can download,but it wont open.
& it seems all my restore points on System Restore have been deleted!
i'm just worried about surfing the net with no firewall.i've tried the Windows firewall,but i get a pop up saying that it cant initialize too.
so i'm at a loss.

#6 doinmeedin

doinmeedin

• Members
  • 455 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2009 - 05:41 PM

As i said earlier If Mbam is fully updated and you can open it in safe mode theres nothing wrong with running it in safe mode, you don't have to be online to do this !!
Also when did you update with XP SP4 and where did you download it from was it just through updates or did you download from some somewhere else !

Edited by doinmeedin, 14 November 2009 - 05:46 PM.

#7 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,416 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:29 PM

Posted 14 November 2009 - 11:52 PM

Scanning with MBAM in safe or normal mode will work but removal functions are not as powerful in safe mode. MBAM is designed to be at full power when malware is running so safe mode is not necessary when using it. In fact, it loses some effectiveness for detection & removal when used in safe mode because the program includes a special driver which does not work in safe mode. Further, scanning in safe mode prevents some types of malware from running so it may be missed during the detection process. For optimal removal, normal mode is recommended so it does not limit the abilities of MBAM. Doing a safe mode scan should only be done when a regular mode scan fails.

If you cannot use or complete a scan in normal mode, then try performing a Quick Scan in "Safe Mode". After reboot, click the Logs tab and copy/paste the contents of the new report in your next reply.

That said if MBAM won't run then run this first and try MBAM after that.

Edited by boopme, 14 November 2009 - 11:54 PM.

How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users