Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Everything hanging, freezing, not responding, Computer so SLOW

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 ratbeanboo

ratbeanboo

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:56 PM

Posted 13 November 2009 - 11:53 PM

I have a Dell Dimension 8400 with Windows XP svc pack 2, it has been having the following problems on and off for awhile, and they are getting increasingly worse.

Programs & Applications are hanging, freezing, not responding and if they work at all are VERY SLOW. Even doing something as simple as opening a folder can take forever. I have tried all the steps recommended for fixing a slow computer.

I have tried reducing the used space on my hard drive to less than 50%, defragging, running chkdsk and repaired errors found. I have cleaned the registry with Norton, I use Norton, Spybot Search & destroy, and Malwarebytes and run scans regularly, all of which are coming up clean. I use Security Task Manager to monitor and reduce unnecessary programs running in the background. I have had some minor trojan, spyware infections in the past, but all have been fixed promptly. This does mot seem to be a malware problem.

I had a bluescreen "NTLDS is missing" error last month, which I fixed with the XP CD Recovery Console. The only new software additions have been XP auto-updates, and I updated adobe illustrator from CS2 to CS4 trial version, but I didn't notice any severe changes in performance directly after installing any of these.

About 4 months ago Explorer was crashing, freezing, and not responding all over the place so I switched from Explorer to Firefox, which seemed to work better for a while, but now firefox is in the same shape - it takes minutes to load a simple page, if it loads at all. But the problems are not limited to my browser - all operations and programs that are hanging, freezing, etc. The Computer is also VERY slow to start up and shut down.
HELP ME!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,254 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:56 PM

Posted 14 November 2009 - 10:04 AM

How much RAM installed?

How large is C: partition? How much free space on C:?

I would...uninstall your Symantec product and Adobe product...and see how the system performs without those two...just for a short period, for purposes of comparison.

I would then run chkdsk /r equivalent on C: by following the guidance in the section, Starting Chkdsk at http://www.hard-drive-help.com/chkdsk.html. Ignore the other sections of the link.

I would then defrag the C: partition.

You mentioned "cleaning the registry", I suggest leaving the registry alone...Norton System Works (if that's what you are using) is not needed or advised.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users