Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Recycle.exe/Recycler infection?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Tekfreak

Tekfreak

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:23 AM

Posted 13 November 2009 - 11:06 PM

Hey everybody. I think my family's laptop might have a recycle.exe infection. It has the folder "RECYCLER" in the C:/ Drive, but honestly, I don't know if the folder is a virus or not.

Why I think I'm infected with Recycle.exe:
I was taking some photos with a digital camera and wanted to put some on the hard drive. I inserted it, then when I opened the SD card, I saw Recycle.exe on there for about 5 seconds, then it disappered. I'm pretty sure it is in the hard drive now as autorun files made it go somewhere. (I think)

When I inserted the card, Norton Antivirus (2009) said that it detected a W32.SillyFDC. I don't know if it was from the SD card or it just came from somewhere other than that.
After that happened I removed the SD card and installed the free version of Malwarebytes. I did a quick scan with it and it found 3 viruses, 2 of them were autorun files.

So, summing this up, my main questions are:
-How do I remove recycle.exe/Recycler folder?
-How can I rid the SD card of the virus? (without formatting it?)

Keep in mind that we have tried to remove RECYCLER before several times but it just kept popping back up.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as this entire recycler thing has been going on for a while and it is annoying us all.

Regards,
Tekfreak. :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:23 PM

Posted 16 November 2009 - 08:25 PM

Insert your SD card while holding down the shift key
Download and run this:

Flash_Disinfector.exe by sUBs and save it to your desktop.
  • Double-click Flash_Disinfector.exe to run it and follow any prompts that may appear.
  • The utility may ask you to insert your flash drive and/or other removable drives. Please do so and allow the utility to clean up those drives as well.
  • Hold down the Shift key when inserting the drive until Windows detects it to keep autorun.inf from executing if it is present.
  • Wait until it has finished scanning and then exit the program.
  • Reboot your computer when done.
Note: As part of its routine, Flash_Disinfector will create a hidden folder named autorun.inf in each partition and every USB drive that was plugged in when you ran it. Do not delete this folder...it will help protect your drives from future infection by keeping the autorun file from being installed on the root drive and running other malicious files.

==================================

Update mbam and run a FULL scan
Please post the results
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users