Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can I use Westell 327W/ dsl to creat wireless network?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 awburn

awburn

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:03 AM

Posted 13 November 2009 - 10:51 PM

I have a Westell 327w gateway from Verizon for my dsl account. Can it be used to set up a home network to share the dsl account?

I just bought a linksys router becuase a buddy told me that the Westell wasn't the right hardware for the job, but he may not know what he is talking about.

My goal is to have the dsl phone line plug into the gateway, connect a desktop to the gateway via an ethernet cord and be able to use my laptop to access the internet via wireless.

Anyone know the answer?

Also, I think the Westell uses wep encryption, whereas the linksys is set up for wpa2. Is the difference in the level of security worth keeping the linksys even i can create a wireless network with the westall?

I guess one last question would be if i keep the linksys router, can i use the westell on a second desktop in place of a wireless adapter? I have read that its possible to set up a bridge (not sure how to do that) but that i might not be able to use my laptop on the network anymore, just the two desktops.

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:03 AM

Posted 13 November 2009 - 11:13 PM

If this is the router then it is wireless capable as well as accepting up to four ethernet\cabled connections.

Edited by ThunderZ, 13 November 2009 - 11:15 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users