Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

All of a sudden- NO SOUND?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 bers808

bers808

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:39 AM

Posted 13 November 2009 - 10:06 PM

My dell e1505 now does not have sound. I installed new speakers, reinstalled drivers, and finally did a fresh install of windows, and still no sound. What could be the problem?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Guest_Abacus 7_*

Guest_Abacus 7_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 14 November 2009 - 08:35 PM

:thumbsup:

Check under your Volumn Control to make sure it is not Muted?

If it is, untick it and you should have Sound

#3 azfreetech

azfreetech

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2009 - 03:49 PM

"I installed new speakers, reinstalled drivers, and finally did a fresh install of windows" If you completed the steps in this order then it's possible the drivers are gone. Check device manager to see if there's a problem there.
DJ Digital Gem

I gave up on computers and now I just DJ!

#4 bers808

bers808
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:39 AM

Posted 16 November 2009 - 09:07 PM

Nothing is muted, and also the drivers are properly installed. I did it according to the instructions Dell gave me.

#5 azfreetech

azfreetech

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:39 AM

Posted 20 November 2009 - 02:23 PM

Windows XP:
Start --> Control panel --> (in classic view) Sounds and Devices or (in category view) Sounds, Speech and Audio Devices --> (in classic view) click on the tab for Audio and see what device is listed as the default device (in category view) Sounds and Audio Devices and then click on the tab for Audio and see what device is listed as the default device.

Windows Vista: Start --> Control Panel --> (in category view) Hardware and Sound or (in classic view) Sound --> (in category view) click Sound and looking under the Playback tab see if your soundcard is listed and if it is the default device or (in classic view) looking under the Playback tab see if your soundcard is listed and if it is the default device .

Let us know what you find.
DJ Digital Gem

#6 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:04:39 AM

Posted 20 November 2009 - 08:42 PM

IF you do have the drivers installed: (this is for XP)

Something to check.

Start/Control Panel.

Open Sound and Audio Devices.

Volume tab, click on Properties in Device Volume.

Play control should open.

Click on Options/Properties. Place a checkmark by everything, click OK.
Back to Options/Advanced Controls.

If under any of the categories, you see Advanced click on that, if a box opens that has
OTHER CONTROLS/1 Digital Output Only* check if it's unchecked. (if you see Advanced in the panel Volume Control, you won't need to check any other advanced settings.)
If it's unchecked, check it.

Open up a player, add a music file, do you now have sound? If you have to, plug the speakers into every port on the card and see if it works.

*it may have another number. If it does, check or uncheck it.

#7 1uncle

1uncle

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:39 AM

Posted 23 November 2009 - 02:36 PM

I have a 'no sound' problem. Sound device and volume control don't show. Clicked on sound and audio devices. Under Audio, everything is gray. Could downloading XP SP3 have caused this. By the way IE7 also disappeared Downloaded IE8, but no sound still. I like to listen to music. WMP is default. Downloaded
RealPlayer. No sound. Any help would be appreciated.

#8 azfreetech

azfreetech

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:39 AM

Posted 27 November 2009 - 08:50 PM

1uncle, every time I get an update for XP it winds up wiping out my audio drivers so yes, installing SP3 could do just what you are seeing.

bers808 how are you doing with your issue?
DJ Digital Gem

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users