Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unable to reboot after XP repair

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
8 replies to this topic

#1 Nigelajodha

Nigelajodha

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:54 PM

Posted 13 November 2009 - 09:40 PM

Hi everyone,
Neighbour asked me to come check his PC. He had unsolicited software and after a virus scan and Spyware scan I decided to re-install Windows. It loaded ok with serial key and all, however. On reboot, I got my DOS screen then went onto my XP splash screen. Then nuttin!!!. Just blank. The machine is on but there is no processor light flashing. I retried and did a safe mode . Same thing, it loaded all the various files then nuttin!!
Its embarassing as the neioghbour had use of his machine before, now he has nothing :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2009 - 09:47 PM

Your title says a XP repair. Your post makes it sound like a fresh install. So we can help better which did you do?

#3 Nigelajodha

Nigelajodha
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2009 - 06:45 AM

I did a re-install of Windows in its folder. That way it would not affect the persons files.

#4 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2009 - 09:51 AM

If the machine is infected. Certainly sounds like it is then this type of install will do little or nothing to correct the situation. It will replace overwrite Windows files but not do anything concerning the infection.

Is there another computer that the affected hard drive can be connected to as a secondary drive? You can then pull the owners data from it. Format the drive and do a clean install.

Or in order to get the PC to a usable state perhaps a repair install would work.

#5 Nigelajodha

Nigelajodha
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2009 - 05:41 PM

Well I seem to have done enough damage. My neighbour has politely discouraged any furthur checking of the machine by me. Like I said it had an illegal copy of XP and by them activating updates it picked it up and Windows Genuine pop up came on , along with the dissappearance of their desktop wallpaper. They were slowly losing connectivity. All I did was to reload my copy of Windows in the Windows folder and after the XP splash screen the machine just went blank. No BSOD but a blank screen. The machine was powered on as the CD-Roms were opening but the processor light was inactive. The same thing with Safe mode. I could get into safe mode but after it started loading the various files it would freeze and again there was no processor activity light and the blank screen. Its a clone machine running an AMD Turbo 4400+ board. They could not find their original driver CD's so I just used my Win XP ( Corporate) CD.

#6 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2009 - 06:01 PM

Like I said it had an illegal copy of XP

Sorry. But I saw no reference to an illegal copy of XP in your first post.

The discussions or aiding in dealing with pirated\illegal\cracked software is forbidden on the Board.

#7 Nigelajodha

Nigelajodha
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2009 - 06:49 PM

They had an illegal but my copy is legit. No one is still allowed to restore someone's machine with legit software?

#8 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2009 - 06:55 PM

Walking a fine line here I think. Using your copy, probably a single User`s Lic. already tied to your PC, to repair a cracked copy of XP.

I will have to ask the Powers that be to get clarification. But I do`t hold out much hope.

#9 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:54 PM

Posted 14 November 2009 - 07:20 PM

If you want to use your legal copy to fix their cracked copy, that is up to you
Still our rules are quite clear:

No subject matter will be allowed whose purpose is to defeat existing copyright or security measures. If a user persists and/or the activity is obviously illegal the staff reserves the right to remove such content and/or ban the user. This would also mean encouraging the use or continued use of pirated software is not permitted, and subject to the same consequences.

I am sorry, but this topic is closed
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users