Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

17 svchost.exe's

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 monkeyonice

monkeyonice

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:43 PM

Posted 13 November 2009 - 08:19 PM

I have 17 svchost.exe process's running on my computer, and I'm pretty sure I didn't have that many when I got the computer a while ago. I have tried running a few virus scanners and spyware scanners, but none of them come up with anything. This is beginning to become a problem, because I have roughly 2/3's of my memory taken up whenever my computer is idling. I have 4 gigs (technically 3 because of 32 bit Vista) of RAM installed, so this is alot of memory for just sitting there. Do I have a virus or trojan or something? Thanks in advance!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SwiftHawk

SwiftHawk

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  
  • Location:C:\Universe\Milky Way\Sol\Terra\Canada\Quebec\Montreal\Home
  • Local time:03:43 PM

Posted 13 November 2009 - 08:47 PM

Hi there,

Normally SVhost.exe doesnt mean you normally have an infection. If your AV and your AS (Anti-virus/ Anti-Spyware) does not turn up results, it's possiable you don't have an infection. Having a certin number of svhost veries from computer to computer because of what is installed and what drivers are running.

Now, Windows Vista taking over 2/3th of your memory is abit of a problem. I would see excatly what it is taking that much memory. If it's the SVhosts.exe. I'll be honest, I'm not sure what the issue could be without me seeing alot of information about your system.

Cheers,

#3 monkeyonice

monkeyonice
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:43 PM

Posted 15 November 2009 - 12:02 PM

So should I take my computer to Geek Squad or a computer tech then?

#4 SwiftHawk

SwiftHawk

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  
  • Location:C:\Universe\Milky Way\Sol\Terra\Canada\Quebec\Montreal\Home
  • Local time:03:43 PM

Posted 15 November 2009 - 04:21 PM

I'd try this..

First Run Malware Bytes then Super Anti Spyware. If they come up clean, it's another issue.

Second, Format and reinstall OS. If something is wrong with the OS, this'll fix it.

If all else fails, Ya, Take it too Geeksquad. Unless you can find a way here. :-)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users