Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Missing Install Shield in XP

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 hermelijn01

hermelijn01

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:49 PM

Posted 13 November 2009 - 06:29 PM

I have an almost 2-year old computer HPCompaqdc7800ConvertibleMinitower. Bought new and abused by me only.

For some time I have had a, first intermittent, (about Feb 09), and lately (Oct) permanent problem: when I try to install new software, within a few seconds i get a message stating that the install shield is missing or has been improperly installed. The install then stops without further elaboration. There is no error number.

Searching Google or this and other forums I get either 1 or 2 responses that are not relevant, or I find manufacturers eager to sell their software who promise the world on a platter if I buy their software, but when I read their detailed descriptions the words "MISSING INSTALL SHIELD" have disappeared from their list of ALLEGED ACCOMPLISHMENTS. Cleaning and repairing is all they promise.

Before i try to destructively reinstall my XP system, as an outsourced Techie for HP Compaq suggested, I would like a less heroic suggestion; I hate to look forward at having to reinstall all my current software.

So I ask. Is their a problem solver who can help me.

Thanks, a heap,

hermelijn01

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rosiesdad

rosiesdad

• Members
  • 220 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2009 - 06:43 PM

Nothing to loose by trying sfc /scannow in the run box have your XP cd ready, may be needed.
Or a repair install.

Edited by rosiesdad, 13 November 2009 - 06:43 PM.

#3 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2009 - 06:44 PM

If you have an XP cd available this.

That is if you have not already tried a repair install. The info is quit dated but still a viable option.

#4 hermelijn01

hermelijn01
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2009 - 05:45 PM

I have an almost 2-year old computer HPCompaqdc7800ConvertibleMinitower. Bought new and abused by me only.

For some time I have had a, first intermittent, (about Feb 09), and lately (Oct) permanent problem: when I try to install new software, within a few seconds i get a message stating that the install shield is missing or has been improperly installed. The install then stops without further elaboration. There is no error number.

Searching Google or this and other forums I get either 1 or 2 responses that are not relevant, or I find manufacturers eager to sell their software who promise the world on a platter if I buy their software, but when I read their detailed descriptions the words "MISSING INSTALL SHIELD" have disappeared from their list of ALLEGED ACCOMPLISHMENTS. Cleaning and repairing is all they promise.

Before i try to destructively reinstall my XP system, as an outsourced Techie for HP Compaq suggested, I would like a less heroic suggestion; I hate to look forward at having to reinstall all my current software.

So I ask. Is their a problem solver who can help me.

Thanks, a heap,

hermelijn01

#5 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2009 - 05:55 PM

Neither of the options given by Rosiesdad or myself are a destructive reinstall.

#6 hermelijn01

hermelijn01
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2009 - 06:06 PM

Thanks rosiesdad for the suggestion to use (SFC) /scannow

Being of a cautious nature i first read the entire piece on scannow and the advice there of adding files to Windows in C;\; So I copied "dllcache and i386 to C:\
This all worked fie including the small operation on the HKey (I hd saved the Registry with ERUNT first).

I read some more and RAN SFC /scannow

Result was nowhere to be seen.
So I tried the install I had had my problems with and now got a 1607 error msg.
I later went to Microsoft knowledge base and found that I could download am install cleaner "Msicuu.exe"
Downloaded fine; but . . . Install stopped at the usual place : "Windows installer has been improperly installed , etc " or words to that effect.
i noticed the reply by thunder 2.

I tried the first one tht promied relief of my 1607 problem and as expected when I ran the program it could not solve the peoblem until I paid my entry fee.

Istopped there, because I have been that path before, elsewhere.

I think I will do a "repair install" and see what happens.

Thanks all I'll be back and keep this open.

hermelijn01

#7 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2009 - 06:24 PM

i noticed the reply by thunder 2.

I tried the first one tht promied relief of my 1607 problem and as expected when I ran the program it could not solve the peoblem until I paid my entry fee.

Istopped there, because I have been that path before, elsewhere.

I think I will do a "repair install" and see what happens.

Thanks all I'll be back and keep this open.

hermelijn01

My apologies Hermelijin01. My intentions were not to point you to any "pay for solution". But only to follow the directions given on the page.

You need to boot from the XP CD and then select new install (do not select repair at
this point). Setup will detect the existing install and ask to repair it, do this
repair. Have your product key ready. This method basically does an XP upgrade over
top of itself.

#8 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,085 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:49 PM

Posted 14 November 2009 - 09:54 PM

Is that what the error message really says:

the install shield is missing or has been improperly installed

InstallShield is one word generally and there are solutions for the 1607 errors with InstallShield.

I really don't see how sfc /scannow will help with an InstallShield error, but it is something to try if you have some time. SFC checks Windows files, not InstallShield files.

Does your 1607 error really say something like this:

Error 1607: Unable to Install InstallShield Scripting Runtime

Don't type in what you think it looks like... type in exactly what it says.

I am not try to be a smarty :thumbsup: , but if you can post the exact error message we can help you look for things to do and not suggest things to try.

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates.

#9 hermelijn01

hermelijn01
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2009 - 11:19 PM

To: joseibarra

If it works i have attached screenshots of two types of responses I get when trying to install, or uninstall.
On my machine they open up i Photosfop elements.

The 1607 msg with the (re-)install of PartitionMagic 8; the second when trying to install Windows InstallerCleanup.
The 1607 text is identical to what you wrote, the 2d one is different. These are the two types I have encountered.

I trust this helps and I appreciate your feelings.

I had resigned to te advice by thunderZ:

"You need to boot from the XP CD and then select new install (do not select repair at
"this point). Setup will detect the existing install and ask to repair it, do this
"repair. Have your product key ready. This method basically does an XP upgrade over
"top of itself."

I do appreciate the help coming in from all three of you.
I will not quote Polonius's advice.
Thx
hermelijn01

Attached Files

#10 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,085 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2009 - 07:16 AM

That's what I thought you meant :thumbsup:

Did the XP Repair Install resolve these issues?

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates.

#11 hermelijn01

hermelijn01
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2009 - 02:47 PM

To Joseibarra,

Thanks for responding asgain.
I had not tried the "repsir" until I heard again from you. It was late and I went to bed.
I will now try the method suggested by thunderZ.

Will be awhile but I'll report back.

hermelijn01

#12 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,085 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2009 - 04:16 PM

Okay - that may fix it, but here are a couple links regarding that error with some ideas if it doesn't work out.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/888019
http://consumerdocs.installshield.com/self...0&sliceId=1

I suspect the problem is with the Windows Installer and there are other troubleshooting steps.

Good luck!

#13 hermelijn01

hermelijn01
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2009 - 09:59 AM

Thanks JoseI,

These teo dites have enough information to keep me busy for a while.
Will keep you posted.
No, I did not yet do a "repairsinstall"

hermelijn01

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users