Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

CD key

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 RacefanofJr

RacefanofJr

• Members
  • 316 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:01 PM

Posted 13 November 2009 - 05:53 PM

I have a Windows XP Pro, laptop. It is a IBM Thinkpad T42, one gig of RAM.
The hard drive took a dump so I got another one. I took the XP Pro cd, inserted it and installed it.
It worked fine and then as I was setting up everything and it got to where ya enter the Product key, thats where my headaches began.
On the setup screen , it asks for me to enter the " Product Key". I looked on the bottom of the laptop where the COA sticjer is and put that 25 didgit code in. When I hit "next", an error message pops up and syas that " The cd KEY you enetered is not valid".
I called Microsoft and they told me to call IBM. I called IBM and they said to call Microsoft, and BUY a new key.
Why would I have to buy a new key ? There is nothing wrong with the one on the bottom of the laptop ! All I did was put in a new hard drive ! I'm confused !!! I've never had to buy a key before when a hard drive went bad before.
Any suggestions ?
The measure of man's real character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SwiftHawk

SwiftHawk

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  
  • Location:C:\Universe\Milky Way\Sol\Terra\Canada\Quebec\Montreal\Home
  • Local time:09:01 PM

Posted 13 November 2009 - 06:24 PM

Hey there,

Honestly, Your dealing with people over the phone. This is what you need to do.

First, Call back IBM and ask for the agent's Name, Employee number, Call Center as well as ticket number/Refreance number. Explain to them that you are trying to install the OS that you bought with your IBM product. If they explain that you need to call Microsoft, explain that this Keycode is part of an OEM deal between IBM and Mircosoft. If they still tell you to buy a new key, call Mircosoft.

Second, Once connected with Mircosoft, again, Get Name, Employee number and Call center. Give him the activation code and ask why is this code not working on an OEM install from IBM. If they explain that you need to talk to IBM, tell them that IBM has already asked that you purches a new key even though you have already bought the software when buying the laptop in genereal. If they start to say that you really need to call IBM, ask for them to connect you over to IBM as you are reciving the run around, if the agent is unwilling. Ask for a supervisior.

Third, When/if the superviser called IBM, give both the IBM agent and Mircosoft agent the FIRST agent's information. This why they can go back to the first time you talked to IBM. Let them work it out who needs to give you a new key. :-)

Cheers,
Phil

#3 rosiesdad

rosiesdad

• Members
  • 220 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2009 - 06:45 PM

Are you using a OEM cd that came with the computer, or perhaps a OEM cd for a different brand of computer.
Cant use a Dell disk in the IBM computer.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,248 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2009 - 06:48 PM

Where did this CD you used come from?

What does it say in print on it?

You make it sound as if XP Pro was the original install...was it?

Louis

#5 Ken-in-West-Seattle

Ken-in-West-Seattle

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:01 PM

Posted 13 November 2009 - 07:15 PM

FYI
discussion of ibm recovery cd set:
http://www.coofercat.com/node/458
Please ignore the ad's and frantic pleas for copyright violations. There is useful info buried in there.

And a link to the convoluted if not bizarre system ibm uses to put a recovery partition on the t-41 and above.
http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/MIGR-57590.html

And the page where you can find the recovery cd part numbers.
http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss...ocid=MIGR-55337

Thinkpads use specific recovery cd's for specific models and their are at least 5 different t-42s

Go through the support site with your full model number to make sure you get the right recovery cd if you need to order one.

Good luck getting someone at either MS or ibm to just give you a working key. It might happen.

#6 RacefanofJr

RacefanofJr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 316 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2009 - 08:38 PM

The disc is not the original one that came with the laptop. I'm still looking for that one. It is original equipment though ! It may not have come form an IBM product though. The laptop did come original with XP Pro loaded on it. I will try to find the original disc, or at least one from an IBM product. Thanks for all your replys !!!!!!!!
The measure of man's real character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

#7 SwiftHawk

SwiftHawk

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  
  • Location:C:\Universe\Milky Way\Sol\Terra\Canada\Quebec\Montreal\Home
  • Local time:09:01 PM

Posted 13 November 2009 - 08:55 PM

:facepalm: Ya, or use the DVD that came with your Laptop. :-D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users