Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Slow internet with Vista Home Premium

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Maimh

Maimh

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:32 PM

Posted 13 November 2009 - 02:12 PM

Now, I just got a new computer, with Vista Home premium. Now, a free upgrade to window 7 came with it. All I have to do is download it from windows7upgradeoption.com. That should be simply enough, but for some reason my internet is painfully slow, I can't even load the page!

I use the exact same connection on my laptop (with xp home) , just switching the cable. And here I have no problem at all.
My new computer with:
AMD Athlon 64 7750 X2 2.7 GHz, 2MB cache 4 GB ram.
640 GB SATA II 7200RPM.
Nvidia 9500GT 1024MB DDR2 DVI/VGA.
22 x DVDRW Dual layer with Nero Express.
10/100 Realtek.
Software: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium, Nero Express, Norton Internet Security 2007
7.1 suround AUDIO (On board).

What can I do?
"To hide a tree, use a forrest" -ninja kid

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aus Smithy

Aus Smithy

• Members
  • 160 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:32 AM

Posted 14 November 2009 - 02:30 AM

Suggest:
(a) you run Windows7UpgradeAdvisor first and check what may present you with an issue when you upgrade - e.g. Norton Internet Security 2007.
(:huh: contact the supplier and/or manufacturer of your PC re details about the upgrade option and how they have implemented it.
I may be missing something but the "windows7upgradeoption.com" you refer to seems to link to a validation phase in ordering upgrade DVDs not a download of the actual software?
Is your internet connection slow at other times?

#3 Maimh

Maimh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2009 - 04:34 AM

My internet is always slow, no matter what page I go to, and often I get the message that the page cannot show, and there is no problems with my connection!? It is truly frustrating, given that if I plug the cable into my laptop, internet runs just fine.

From the paper I got with the computer, it is a simple matter of download from the net, I already got the Proof of License sticker, and have to use the regisration number to download. But the page just can't load :huh:

What is Windows7UpgradeAdvisor? And how do I run it?

Thanks for the quick response :huh:

#4 Aus Smithy

Aus Smithy

• Members
  • 160 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2009 - 02:50 AM

Windosw 7 Upgrade Advisor is a program supplied bt Microsoft that checks your PC to determine if there are likely to be any issues that may cause you grief if you upgrade e.g. if you are using NIS2007 it may not work on Windows 7 - see:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...;displayLang=en
I'd check if you need different drivers etc for the modem cable connection for XP and Vista/Windows 7.
Could you use your laptop to download the Upgrade then transfer the download to the PC?

#5 Maimh

Maimh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2009 - 02:32 AM

I see, I will tjeck that out, thanks.

As for my internet, it has been solved, turned out it was something with the kabel I used, but I had an extra one, so now my net is working fine. So now all I have to do is get the windows 7 to work. Your advice will be handy then :huh:

Thanks for your help.

#6 Michael York

Michael York

Authorized Symantec Representative

• Members
  • 118 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:32 AM

Posted 23 November 2009 - 06:59 PM

Now, I just got a new computer, with Vista Home premium. Now, a free upgrade to window 7 came with it. All I have to do is download it from windows7upgradeoption.com. That should be simply enough, but for some reason my internet is painfully slow, I can't even load the page!

I use the exact same connection on my laptop (with xp home) , just switching the cable. And here I have no problem at all.
My new computer with:
AMD Athlon 64 7750 X2 2.7 GHz, 2MB cache 4 GB ram.
640 GB SATA II 7200RPM.
Nvidia 9500GT 1024MB DDR2 DVI/VGA.
22 x DVDRW Dual layer with Nero Express.
10/100 Realtek.
Software: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium, Nero Express, Norton Internet Security 2007
7.1 suround AUDIO (On board).

What can I do?

Hi Maimh,

This is Mike from the Norton Authorized Support Team.

First, Norton Internet Security 2007 is not compatible with Windows 7. However, one of the advantages of having a subscription to Norton Internet Security is that you are entitled to free product updates for the life of your subscription. This allows you take advantage of the new technologies and updated features to keep your computer protected against the latest threats. The 2010 version of Norton Internet Security, which is fully compatible with Windows 7 has recently been released. What you need to do is to first update to the 2010 version and after it is installed, launch the application and manually run LiveUpdate. You can then update to Windows 7 and Norton Internet Security 2010 will function properly. To update, please visit the Norton Update Center at the link below.

Norton Update Center

Let me know if you run into any issues when updating.

Thank you,
Mike

Edited by Michael York, 23 November 2009 - 07:16 PM.

Michael York
Norton Authorized Support Team
Symantec Corporation
http://service.symantec.com/priority

#7 Aus Smithy

Aus Smithy

• Members
  • 160 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2009 - 02:06 AM

Which cable was the one that solved your internet problem i.e. what was it connecting?

#8 Maimh

Maimh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2009 - 05:46 AM

Hey, sorry for not answering sooner, I have been a bit busy.

As it is, my problem has been solved. It turned out that for some odd reason the stationary couldn't work with the internet cable I used, luckily I had an extra, so now my net I running just fine.
But thanks for all the suggestions here. :huh:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users