Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Plugs burning :| Help!

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Siadeug

Siadeug

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:42 PM

Posted 06 August 2005 - 12:29 PM

Hey everyone,
This is my first time posting here :thumbsup: About 4 months ago my laptop AC adapter started having problems - I'd had some problems beforehand with the laptop overheating and turning off, and then I started noticing it was difficult to pull the ac adapter plug out of the back of the laptop, or that I had to push it in and fiddle with it to get the laptop to realise it was actually plugged in. On closer examination I noticed the yellow ring of plastic around the metal plug of the ac adapter (the part that plugs into the back of the laptop), was tinged and burned, and the plastic of the ring was getting deformed. Then one day, the metal pin of the plug got stuck in the back of the laptop, and separated from the cable.
So, I decided to get the pin out of the back, and bought a new ac adapter. It seems to be working okay, but to my complete horror, the plastic on the inside of the pin looks a little burnt / charred already. I really don't know what to do.. I'm trying to keep the laptop unplugged as much as possible, and people are just telling me to wait and see until it gets to winter (because the summers here are very hot) - but I really don't want the pin to break again! What can I do, and what's causing this?
Thanks everyone!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Joshuacat

Joshuacat

01001010 01000011

• Members
  • 1,950 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:42 PM

Posted 06 August 2005 - 05:35 PM

What is the make and model of your laptop. I have seen recalls of power supplies and batteries on a couple of make/models of laptops. How hot is it there? Is the rest of your laptop hot? Mine gets fairly hot at times as well. Not hot enough to ruin the internal components tho. Although it is probably a little cooler here...
JC

#3 Siadeug

Siadeug
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:42 PM

Posted 06 August 2005 - 06:03 PM

The rest of the laptop is kind of hot, although not burning to touch or anything.. and one side seems to get hotter than the other (the side the ac adapter plugs into). As soon as I plug the ac adapter in, the fans start going and it seems to get hotter.. When it's not plugged in, it runs okay. It's actually not that hot here - about 35 degrees in the day at the hottest.
The make is an Acer Mobile AMD Atholon 2600+ with 557 MHz and 192 MB of RAM..Actually I could swear the MHz was different yesterday, but hell.. maybe it changes or something, i know very little about computers :thumbsup:

#4 Joshuacat

Joshuacat

01001010 01000011

• Members
  • 1,950 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:42 PM

Posted 06 August 2005 - 07:34 PM

Take at look at this:

http://help.lockergnome.com/index.php?showtopic=36521&st=0

I am still a little confused on your make/model..

I have copied the link to the ACER website, so you can browse and give me that exact model.

http://global.acer.com/products/notebook/index.htm
JC

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users