Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

160 GB SATA HDD NOT SEEN IN BIOS

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 tim_ver

tim_ver

• Members
  • 125 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:24 PM

Posted 13 November 2009 - 03:06 AM

I have a new computer and had a 160 gb sata hdd and was working fine no problem running Windows 2003 server. I leave it on all the time and has had no issue for last 4 months , then came in one say to find on the screen please insert boot disk hardrive failure. Seemed it rebooted and could not find the hdd. I rebooted and came up fine no issues. Then 5 days ago error on screen again went to reboot but same error. I have tried to see it in Bios but does not see the drive. I moved it to another PC and same issue not seen in bios, I tried another SATA cable also but no luck. I need to get files of this hdd. What can I do and try to get this drive up so I can get my needed files off of this hdd?

Thank you

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,287 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2009 - 10:54 AM

I would have removed the hard drive when that message first appeared...and attached as a secondary drive to a working system...and moved data files.

If you are not able to do such now...then you can try data-recovery software, of your choice...or, if you are familiar with linux, you can try the same moving technique using a linux distro.

Louis

After data files have been moved, then would be the time to run a manufacturer's hard drive diagnostic (long test) on the drive.

Edited by hamluis, 13 November 2009 - 10:55 AM.

#3 tim_ver

tim_ver
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 125 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2009 - 10:35 PM

Ok, problem is bios will not see the hdd, so when I have it as a slave and get to windows to use software on it to recover data files it will not find the slave hdd.

Can I swap the pcb on it with another hdd I have same make/model and the PCB has the same number as the other hdd.

How do I swap the pcb's? is there a place with step by step instructions? Also what star screw driver /tools will I need?

Thanks

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,287 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2009 - 11:30 AM

Frankly, if the drive is not recognized in the BIOS of any system...I would say that it's dead.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users